Chapter 6 - Wrong Time

Sept 21, 2229

The sun came up. Driving behind a bus, Lel sweated, and his right hand shook but not his left for some reason.

The bus stopped in front of the huge factory building with the name Legerdemain lit up in yellow. Snorri lumbered off the bus.

Lel stopped the car and got out. The bus drove off.

Aware of Lel, Snorri pretended he didn't notice and lumbered to the factory.

Jogging up behind Snorri, Lel stopped about ten feet behind.

Snorri turned his head a little back, his muscles tensed, ready for an attack.

"Hey Rephaim," said Lel ready to run.

Turning around, Snorri faced Lel, his fists clenched.

"I don't want trouble," said Lel taking one step back.

"Snorri does not want trouble. But Snorri is trouble."

"Ok, look. I have something I think you might want."

Snorri did not move an inch.

"It's a Rephaim exo-armor. You want to buy it?"

Waiting for a bit, Snorri took a step toward Lel.

Lel took a step back.

"Snorri does not have much money."

"That's ok. I'm sure we can come to an agreement."

Both stood not speaking for what felt like forever to Lel. "You want to get in the car, and we'll go get it?"

"Snorri has to work."

"Ok. Want to pick a time and place to meet?"

"Snorri will be here after work."

"What time? I can't stay here. I have to keep moving."

"Snorri is out at 5:05."

"Ok, I'll be here then. It has to be right then. And you'll have to get in the car right away. Ok."

"Snorri is ok with it."

****

Getting a call from Alexander Lucas of fireteam Martial Call, Gill thought, "Answer."

"Fireteam Martial Call reporting in," said Alexander.

"In a bit of a bind. Sending my location. Requesting immediate assistance," said Gill. His Aivot sent the coordinates.

"Understood. On our way. Maintain connection."

Running down an aisle between racks of boxes, Gill glanced behind himself. The Hunter drone came to the far end of the aisle and aligned itself, targeting Gill. Coming from an intersecting lane, a robot took the incoming blasts of red energy at the last second. Blasted to pieces, parts of the robot burned and a box on the shelves caught fire. Gill turned ninety degrees and ran down another lane as the sprinkler system released a wet foam. Not hampered by the foam, the drone sped after him.

Coming around the corner of the racks, the drone ran right into a shot from Gill's gun. A blue Alter Energy shield came up around the drone, and the rest of his shots fizzled against it. Booking it down an aisle, Gill headed back to where he had entered the room. His system alerting him to an incoming call from Sydnie, Gill ignored it as best he could; though thoughts of worry for her invaded his mind.

Realizing he made the wrong choice, Gill saw a G.E member limping into the Isle and opening fire with an antique Smith & Wesson 460 XVR. A bullet hit Gill in the chest but did not penetrate his suit. In pain, gasping for breath, Gill aimed and shot; the G.E member fell dead on the spot, a hole burned clean through their chest.