Chapter 7 - The Time Will Come

Sept 21, 2229

At 5:05 Lel waited out front of the Legerdemain factory building as Snorri lumbered over to his car.

"Guess you'll have to get in the back," said Lel facing forward in his seat. He looked at Snorri then faced forward staring out the windshield. Lel pushed the button to open the back door once it occurred to him to do so.

Snorri squeezed in, the back of the car dropping down from his weight.

Gently pushing down the gas pedal, Lel drove off. He kept glancing into the review mirror at Snorri behind him. Trying to act natural, he drove through the city a bit too slow for normal.

Out in front of a small apartment building next to an unused elevated train structure, Lel parked his car. Snorri got out, and some homeless people grabbed their stuff and hurried off upon seeing him.

Lel got out. "Come on, we got to hurry out of sight." Jogging to the apartment building's door, he held his PAD near the touchpad. The door opened, he ushered Snorri inside, and he backed in through the doorway.

Snorri had no idea of where to go. Behind Snorri, Lel tried to inch past him without brushing up against him. Once in front Lel pointed up some stairs. "This way." Going up fast, Lel waited on the second floor.

Snorri put half a foot on one step and angled his body sideways to fit. He made his way up the stairs like a clumsy ballerina; one foot up a step, next foot up to the same step, to one foot up a step again.

Snorri wondered if Lel told the truth and if the exo-armor existed, how would they get it out and fit it into the car as well.

Lel got to an apartment door, its designated number had worn off. Opening it, he waited for Snorri to catch up and go in first. Snorri sauntered over and entered the room while squinting at Lel.

With no furniture inside, a pile of dirty sheets sat in the middle of the room. Snorri rubbed his nose, the room had an odd moldy smell mixed with coriander.

Lel moved some sheets and exposed the exo-armor. A disturbed bed bug ran for cover. Walking over to the exo-armor, Snorri picked up its helmet. He hadn't gotten his hopes up it existed, let alone worked. Turning to Lel, Snorri opened his mouth, "Sno," and was cut off by a loud bang.

Lel ran for it. Left standing with the helmet in his hands, Snorri dropped it. Layering a few sheets, he put the pieces of armor on top. Grabbing a gauntlet, he put it on. He grabbed a vambrace, made it split into two sections, and put it on his forearm.

Hearing people running down the hall outside the room, Snorri bundled up the exo-armor in the sheets and hefted it up over his back like Santa Claus. As a G.E member came to the open door, Snorri punched with his partially armored arm, smashed right through the doorframe, and crushed the G.E member into the hallway wall with a crack.

Screaming in pain from a broken arm and collarbone, the G.E man dropped his weapon.

A second G.E member ran into Snorri, and he flung the person fifteen-feet down the hallway.

The G.E man hit into the wall tried to pick up his energy weapon. Snorri brought his gauntleted fist down on his head, shattering the man's skull and snapping his neck.

The other G.E member scrambled to get up off the floor as Snorri came barreling down the hall. Snorri bulldozed right over the person, cracking their ribs.

Getting to the top of the stairs, Snorri looked down at Joe.

Upon seeing the Rephaim exo-armor on Snorri's arm, Joe ran out of the building. "Rephaim! Rephaim's got the armor. Go, go."