Chapter 12 - Visit

Sept 24, 2229

Onboard the America, Gill sat with Martial Call to hold a meeting. "First you will drop me off near my car. I uploaded information on a Joe Williams. He has a tracker on him and shouldn't realize he's being tracked. Though, if he does disable it or removes it, you're to still keep an eye on him."

Alexander looked around at the other Martial Call Marines. "And that's it?"

"Hopefully he will lead you to the Onslaught. Then your primary mission takes over, and you do what you came here to do."

"Ok, well let's hope we find it before they attack."

****

Handcuffed to the bed in the prison infirmary, Joe laid brooding. Fearful of getting killed, feeling vulnerable anxiety built up inside him. The more time passed, the more desperate he wanted to get out of the bed. He wished to be able to take care of himself.

Some police officers came in, and one uncuffed Joe.

Cautious, Joe looked at one officer and the next.

"Your case has been dropped."

"Why?" It sounded more like an ugh with his injured jaw.

"Witness is dead."

Joe did not respond and looked around the room suspicious he would end up dead any minute.

"We will escort you to your cell to collect what you want."

"No. Just take me to intake and release," he said mumbling the words together.

One officer got on each side of Joe and grabbed him by his upper arms. Half pushing and half dragging him out of the room anger grew in Joe.

Jolting in a twisting motion, Joe grunted then stopped, too sore and exhausted to do more. "Give me a break. I can walk and am more than willing to go."

"What's that?" Said an officer smiling. "Hard to hear you. Speak up."

"Let go of me." Joe slurred his words with his injured jaw.

"Didn't your Mother teach you how to talk," said the officer jerking on Joe hard. "Can't understand a word you're saying."

Joe spent the rest of the time keeping his mouth shut and letting the officers push him around. As Joe signed his name to page after page of forms someone removed the smartwatch. They placed him into a small holding cell to wait a bit longer to be officially released.

****

Watching Joe walk out of prison on scanners, Cathan put on his Banshee exo-armor helmet. The America hovered high above the prison out of sight hidden beyond the dreary clouds of Philadelphia. Cathan sat ready for orders to fly out and go after Joe if need be.

On the ship's bridge, Melissa sat in one of the pilot seats. "Why isn't Cathan piloting. My Yellowjacket could get to the target much faster."

"Yeah, but the Banshee was made for this kind of mission. Cathan can track and stay out of sight. If we need to grab the target or take him out you can go," said Alexander.

"I hate all this waiting. What kind of mission is this for us?"

"Anlon said do what Gill says. So here we are."

They watch the bridge's screen. Joe took a public access self-driving car he had ordered to come by once he got his PAD back from the intake and release storage.

Not long after the car pulled up to an impound yard. In a second the car left.

"His PAD signal is going with the car. The tracker's not moving," said Melissa.