Chapter 9 - Action

Sept 22, 2229

Cornering Lel in an alleyway, Joe ventured closer to him with gun drawn and aimed at Lel's chest. "You shouldn't have stolen from us."

"Come on. I did you a favor. As soon as that Rephaim shoots up people, the G.E will have everyone's blessing to shoot some aliens," said Lel kneeling down exhausted.

"We don't know if it will do anything. Might even turn the suit over to the cops."

"Oh, come on. A Rephaim ain't going to do that. They'd kill us all if they weren't so dumb."

"Point taken. Still can't let you live. Bad for business if anyone found out you got off screwing us over." Joe aimed the gun at Lel's head.

Without warning a police officer came behind Joe. "Put down the weapon!"

Joe froze scowling and muttering under his breath.

"Put down the weapon."

Gradually lowering his gun, Joe carefully put it on the ground.

"Nice and easy. Get down on the ground."

Joe put his hand on the ground and lowered himself down.

"Both of you. Now!"

Lel got down spreading his arms and legs spread eagle.

"Hands behind your back."

They both put their hands on their backs, and two cops ran over and cuffed them as fast as they could.

****

Stomping out of the room in the bulky exo-armor, Snorri set out looking for whoever came into the building. In the stairwell he jumped up a whole flight of steps, gouging out a groove in the wall with his armored shoulder.

His helmet picked up what the intruders said. "We'll take what he's got."

"Did you see the size of that bag?"

"I bet it was just laundry."

"No. it must have been heavy. You could see stuff pressed to the sides through the cloth."

"Could have been cans of food."

"I wouldn't mind hauling some food back."

Snorri came upon the group. Five men dressed in dirty clothes held up old PADs and searched with their lights, checking each room. Snorri snorted, finding it laughable the five raggedy humans thought they could take him on, armor or none.

He came out of the darkness hammering one man with his fist, crushing them with a cracking and squishing sound. He grabbed another man before they could react to his sudden appearance. With one hand, Snorri squeezed the man's shoulder breaking bones. Screaming in pain, the man looked at Snorri with eyes wide in terror. Snorri tossed the man so hard their neck snapped from the sudden jolt, and their body made a hole in the wall.

Two men pulled out large knives and stabbed Snorri. The blades glanced off the exo-armor, not leaving a single scratch. Grabbing both men's heads, Snorri slammed them together with a sickening crack and squishing out their brains and eyes.

The last man ran for his life. Snorri lifted an arm, aimed it at the man's back, and fired. The blast burned right through their spine and out the front leaving a cauterized hole. The body dropping onto the floor with a thud.

Snorri proceeded up to the ground floor. His helmet's scanners picked up about twenty people right outside the broken, back door. Running full tilt Snorri burst through the doorway, crumbling its frame and sending the door flying.