26.2 | A Bloodless Soul |

Teetering on exhaustion, the lot of them sleep very well throughout the night

I watch them faintly through dim firelight, the lack of shuffling or tossing explaining without words. The last time they slept this well easily became days ago. A week perhaps.

Still, no one told me how long it had been.

Daniel passed out on watch, though not overly surprising. I see the weakening state in him the most, dark rings softening around his eyes once deep sleep takes over.

Meika seldom twitches, only twisting her head once in hours.

When the moon reaches its peak in the sky, soft shifting through the dusty grass and sand catches my loose attention. Four steps, a quick pause. Eight more steps. Quiet breathing getting closer and closer before a large shadow looms over me and blocks much of the moonlight.

Gently pressing my eyes shut, I hold my breath.

I take this chance.

The large frame leans over me, the ghostly touches of a wet nose grazing over my cheek. Several tiny sniffs push straight into my ear, tickling my neck.

"I know you're awake," the soothing voice murmurs. An entrancing monotone echoes in, hinting only slightly at a warm smile.

Smirking slightly, I don't move an inch more. "I knew you were here. She doesn't sleep the same without you."

"I know," the voice answers.

A silence passes between the two of us. Questions phase in and out of my mind, but none urge me to speak.

Until one skirts the outer fabric of my thoughts.

"Did you know it was me? Did you know it was me and fought?"

It's the only thing I want to know.

It's the only thing I need to know.

My eyes peek up at the very large wolf standing above me. Giant opal eyes stare back at me. A beautiful brown pelt wrapped around Shai'rune like a jacket, stretching down their paws and over their head. With an underbelly of white and faint flecks of red-brown, they maintained a bright and clean summer coat.

Short and comfortable, all except for the mane around their neck.

Tilting their head ever so slightly, Shai'rune peers down at me. "I did see you, I did know it was you," they answer. "It was my master who cut the ties of fate."

I nod, smiling again. "Of course."

"I will spare you the details, Goddess. You needn't know."

Shai'rune lowers themself to the ground between Meika and me, resting their tail against my leg and their face on top of Meika's blanket.