14.2 | Shiny Happy People |

Seconds go by in a blur of fabric and places

Officials from the city coming rushing in, a cacophony of voices and noises bursting with questions. They hammered him with words, expecting more than screams in response. The agony bleeds into the rough edges of his tone.

Daniel continues to pin Remi into him, locking both her arms at the waist and seeming effortless in subduing the thrashing. In the faint reaches of my vision, I see Meika speaking calmly with one of the officials, explaining the situation and talking about solutions.

And Theron...

Theron grips one of my legs tight, continuously trying to push himself up and into a kneeling position. He falls every time. The last is the hardest to watch as hope drains away and he stops bracing himself on me. My hand slips down to his, cradling the calloused knuckles and brushing my thumb over his.

Two men try to lift his weight off of me, but the restraint and indignation shine in his eyes again.

"Don't fight them," I whisper to him. "Please, let me keep you here."

His eyes lock onto mine. Theron lets them guide him up, releasing his hold on my leg but grabbing my hand when they manage to pull him onto a stretcher of some sort. I saw no ambulances, no hospital. I don't even know what exists here, but I know they commandeered an old gurney from somewhere.

People continue talking around us, amongst themselves and to the other involved.

All I can do is stare at the hand I have wrapped into his.

"We're going to take you to our Medic," Calvin tells us, looking at me more than Theron. "From there we'll be able to assess the damage and what needs to be done."

I feel my heart start to throb in my chest, a tingling sensation spreading down my arms and legs, lingering just within my fingertips. The sun punished me with its rays more than anything, reminding me of every time I've lost yet another thing.

I am Death.

And I lose everything.

"You're going to live, you hear me?" My voice shivers but turns piercing and sharp. "You don't get a say in this, you're going to live."

He barely manages a smirk. "Whatcha gonna do about it, Ira?"

My eyes harden in anger, in anguish. Minutes lapse together when they pull him out of my grip and I'm left to follow behind like a stray puppy.

Meika slinks up behind me and presses her lips behind my ear. "Stay strong, focus, we're going to war," she says. "And in this war, their sanity and his health are behind your sword."

"I said I'd protect them..." I answer.

My voice is vacant and detached, a sense of control slowly growing in my chest and taking over the shakey tears. I take a deep breath and straighten up, analyzing the situation and my surroundings.