12.2 | The Work of Man |

Miles feel like minutes

Though it might just be the days passing by filled with endless walking, trekking through land just to wind up somewhere I don't need to be. Perhaps it'd feel like the other thousands of seconds in my life if not for the absence of Lindon.

When no one is speaking, I hear him humming in the kitchen like we haven't been apart all this time. Almost one hundred years later we're in a desolate wasteland, so far apart. I don't know if I'm still hallucinating, but I don't want to stop.

I catch his scent in the wind sometimes, as if that were even possible.

No one catches our trail even for a moment, the footsteps meeting near our old camp and subsiding. Meika visibly relaxes before anyone else.

Before we even see the city, I catch the scent of cooked food. Smoked meats and tasty floral fruits in the air weave through the heat. The tiny buildings poking up from the sandy baked ground offer a chance at hope.

Meika's lips turn up into a feral smile as she tosses me a knowing look. "We're getting close now, children," she teases playfully. I bask in her features, this being one of the first times she's shown any hint of her usual nature.

My gut turns a little, thinking about leaving the trio in such a big place with no one they know, no one to trust but themselves. This is quickly stolen with the sobering fear on Daniel's face, dwelling just beneath eye level. Each muscle in his body is visibly tenser, his face pensive and almost brooding.

I watch him, waiting for some kind of reassurance. When he checks on me, something worsens. Almost like an apology.

"How long do you think?" He asks coolly, attempting to sooth the tension.

Theron looks but rolls his eyes. "I don't see anything, are you two sure?"

Remi is eyeing his face wearily, unsure if addressing the issue at hand is the smartest decision. By now, even the naive woman recognizes something amiss. Theron's body is sloping in every so slightly, his once intense and authoritative posture unremarkable now. The cloudy sheen returns stronger every time I clear it, the viral cells consuming him faster than I can feed off of them.

Still, I slip past Dan and Meika wordlessly, catching his elbow rather calmly and relieving some of the strain on his eyes.

"Look now," I whisper.

He leans against me enough to regain composure, disoriented. Theron blinks a few times, swiping some of the brown hair out of his face and looking at the thin horizon line with buildings. I lift a finger to point. "See right there?"

He nods, hiding a look of appreciation before glancing back at the others. "I'd say about 6 hours..."

Meika stretches, giving the distance a once over herself. My eyes scan the flatland in front of us and my vision fazes out as the vast area lulls my consciousness away momentarily.