62. 10 Short Horror Stories

1. Sleep didn't come easily that night in the cabin in the woods, for the portraits on the wall only portrayed the deformed, the decrepit, and the damned. Sleep has never come easily to me ever again, for when I awoke I found no portraits, only windows.

2. The grinning face stared at me from the darkness beyond my bedroom window. I live on the 14th floor.

3. You know that weird, full-body twitch you get sometimes when you're falling asleep? If there was a camera pointed at you, and you saw what it captured at the moment, you'd never sleep again.

4. "I can't sleep" she whispered, crawling into bed with me. I woke up cold, clutching the dress she was buried in.

5. They celebrated the first successful cryogenic freezing. He had no way of letting them know he was still conscious.

6. She asked why I was breathing so heavily. I wasn't.

7. After working a hard day I came home to see my girlfriend cradling our child. I didn't know which was more frightening, seeing my dead girlfriend and stillborn child, or knowing that someone broke into my apartment to place them there.

8. I woke up to hear knocking on glass. At first. at first, I thought it was the window until I heard it come from the window again.

9. Working the night shift alone tonight. There is a face in the cellar staring at the security camera.

10. Growing up with cats and dogs, I got used to the sounds of scratching at my door while I slept. Now that I live alone, it is much more unsettling.