41. Ape-like noises

My folks and I were cruising the waters of Howe Sound during a week day. We were out to catch the ever-elusive salmon, but little did we know we would get more than we bargained for. At the south end of Gambier Island there are three bays. One of these is Center Bay and at the north end of it is a wharf owned by an exclusive yacht club in Vancouver. We tied up, intending to explore the property and sleep overnight before bugging out first thing in the morning. Dad went up to check out the property, and within a few minutes I followed. I went inside the house and found it in total ruins.

Heading outside to check the rear of the house, I heard three ape-like noises behind me. Figuring it was dad, I told him to give it a rest. But a few minutes later I saw dad on the wharf, talking to mom. Knowing something didn't add up, I wanted to quiz dad on his whereabouts, but refrained.

Later, I took a hike beyond the house and found a trail that led to a number of fruit trees in an abandoned orchard. Wondering if any fruit was on the trees, I got in among the trees. Reacting to a feeling of being watched, I turned and saw something that took two or three seconds to register. Standing about 50 to 60 yards away was a creature standing about seven feet high and weighing several hundred pounds. It was a sasquatch. This spooked me. We looked at each other for a few moments before the sasquatch moved into the deeper forest. He was just interested in keeping an eye on me.

After sunset, I called dad out to the back of the boat. I had heard the same ape noises from earlier in the day on a nearby rocky slope. For several minutes, dad and I heard sasquatch splashing in the water, and it was having a great time in doing so. Just in case of further contact, I slept with one eye open that entire night.

To this day I still do not have an explanation for what I saw. Every time the situation comes up my dad always makes me tell everyone my story, just so he can laugh at it!