Can someone help me figure out what this is?

I've had this reoccurring nightmare since I was 7. It's about this thing that lives in the mirrors I have in my room, but it seems to follow me to other places because I had the same nightmare when I went away to college.

It started simply enough. One night I "woke up" and looked over into the mirror hanging on my door and I could see this thing hunched over me, looking into the mirror and smiling. It had green yellow eyes, dark scraggly, long hair and entirely too many teeth. I guess at that point I woke up for real and turned on the tv in my bedroom, and it just went away. My mom took the mirror down the next day for me.

Nothing happened again until my senior year of college. I had a room where I had my own bathroom and my bed was right across from it. You could see into the mirror from my bed. There was also an old mirror hanging on the door leading to the hallway of my dorm building. From my bed you could see a little table and chair set that I had set up. Well, first night I'm there I "wake up" and there the thing is again...laying in bed with me but staring into the mirror and smiling at me.

I freaked out and turned on my television to get some light in my room and it was gone. Got out of bed, closed the door, and slept fairly well the rest of the night. Next night the same thing happens, I "wake up" and I look around and my eyes settle on the mirror on the door leading out of my room. She's there again. And she's smiling at me with her mouth full of too many sharp teeth...and then she stands up and walks out of the view of the mirror toward my bed. Toward ME. I freak the fuck out. I turn on the tv. Cover the mirror with printer paper and tape and don't get much sleep.

The next night my boyfriend at the time invites me over to his place. I go over around 8 and fall asleep pretty early because I'm exhausted. Well, you guessed it... I "wake up" and notice a mirror next to the ladder leading up to his bed...and the thing is climbing up to the bed to me...I freak out and wake him up and have him walk me back to my dorm.

From that point I've made it a habit to cover mirrors with paper or scarves or whatever I can find.

The weirdest thing is that sometimes when I talk about the thing, whatever I have covering the mirror will randomly fall off of the mirror. I try to rationalize it as pure coincidence, but sometimes I'm not so sure.