Chapter 26: Jenna

That's lifeThat's what all the people sayYou're riding high in April, shot down in MayBut I know I'm gonna change that tuneWhen I'm back on top, back on top in June

That's life
That's what all the people say
You're riding high in April, shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top, back on top in June

ANONYMOUS POV

It was expected. Caden coming to save the day like he always does. Oh, Sage is a weak link and it's a shame that Caden doesn't accept that. I know he knows, but he's not ready to accept it yet. Because all Caden wants is to hold someone's hand while he tries to confront the truth about how her sister died.

Or murdered.

Weirdly, it's fun to watch them run around town thinking they're getting steps closer to find out that I killed Blue. It's adorable. I laugh every time they can't catch up with clues that are staring them right in the face and yet they still ask the same question over and over and over again:  Who killed Blue Jones?

But sometimes I want them to ask themselves that how did I kill Blue Jones. It's poetic, I think, questioning the how instead of the who. It makes you curious, anxious, afraid.

Are you afraid? I'm dying to know.

X

SAGE POV

Caden left early before my parents came back.

I walked downstairs as they stepped inside with grocery and take out food in their hands. Dad looked up at me and asked "Have you eaten yet?" I shook my head "Great, help your mother with the plates, will you? I brought Chinese food and I need to send this important email to the students about an assignment." I took the bags from his hands as he runs up the stairs to his office.

I walked into the kitchen as mom kept the vegetables in the fridge "How was your day, baby?" I took in a deep breath and lied "Okay, I guess. Boring mostly." She asked "No new skateboard tricks?"

"No, I just didn't felt like skating."

She put her palm against my forehead "Hmm, you don't seem to be having a fever." I removed her hand slowly "I'm not sick, mom." She nodded "I don't know that because my son never skips an opportunity for skateboard tricks. I know because I'm his mom." I chuckled as I grabbed the plates from the cabinet and put them on the dining table.

I felt drained, weak, and tired.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned around to see mom as she asked "What is it, Sage?"

"What do you mean?"

"I really wanna understand you, Sage. I do. But you gotta give me a chance. You know you can always come to us for things that have been bothering you. I just- I just feel like you're hiding something. I don't know what, but I know that it's something big that is eating you up alive."