Chapter 16: Deal?

We made our way back to town

We made our way back to town. Neither of us talked in the car.

Nothing made sense at all. Nothing. The annoying part was that we didn't even know where to start.

We came back at sundown. I invited Caden to my place because I didn't want him to be alone after everything we went through with Uncle Gabriel. I knew it wasn't easy for him to talk about Blue. We couldn't even find her anymore. It was like she was gone. The only questions I kept asking myself were 'Has she moved on?' 'Is she gone?'

I didn't felt good to hide things from my parents too. Telling them that I'm going to school when I went to see my uncle. And then texting them again that I'd be late because I decided to try out for baseball.

My life is complete shit right now, I tell you that.

I texted mom that I was gonna bring Caden over for homework. My 3rd lie of the day.

Am I turning into a liar now? I'll let you be the judge of that.

We went in through the main door and mom was already setting up the table. She smiled at us and said, "Hi, boys." I smiled back and Caden turned his expression from hurt to charming in a couple of seconds. He said, "Hello, Mrs. Asher." I asked mom "Mom, can we take our dinner upstairs please?" She nodded her head and said, "I'll get you a tray." She went into the kitchen and asked from there "So how were the tryouts, Sage?" Caden looked at me with furrowed brows and I shrugged at him, lying again "Not good. Didn't make the team."

She came back with a yellow tray and two plates of steaks, mash potatoes, and gravy. I was starving. She handed the tray to me and put her hand against my cheek "It's okay. You didn't need that team anyway." I chuckled at her and she walked back to the kitchen. I handed the tray to Caden "You go up, I'll catch up in a minute." He nodded and went up the stairs.

I asked mom "Can I ask you something?" She came out holding wine glasses and stopped in her tracks with her warm smile "Sure, baby. Anything." I took a deep breath and let it out "How did you feel when dad told you about Gabriel?" She chewed the inside of her cheeks like she usually does when she's in deep thought and walked over to the table, setting the wine glasses "Honestly, I was a little hurt that your dad hid it all from me even including his family. But the more I think about it, the more I get why he did what he did. And I think it's okay."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I love your dad, Sage. The only reason I married him was that I know he was never a bad man."

I just nodded, not speaking anything more. But she continued "If you think that you will turn out to be your uncle Gabriel, Sage, baby, you have nothing to worry about. Because I'm right here for you, no matter what. The only way you'll get rid of me is when I'm six feet under." I smiled at her and hugged her "Thanks mom." She held me back "You're welcome baby. Now go up before Caden eats all your food like he did with the pancakes." I chuckled and walked up the stairs to my room.