Chapter 32: Change

Out of the deep and into the hurtThis is the way it always worksOut of the deep and into the hurtYou're moving your lips but I don't hear the words

This is the way it always works
Out of the deep and into the hurt
You're moving your lips but I don't hear the words

We were okay.

We were fine.

I was. Caden's face... not so much.

Two purple bruises on his left cheek. A cut on the right. Stitches on the left side temple, a badly bruised spine, and lastly, dislocated finger.

We were actually in the emergency room. I was sitting on the bed right beside him. I was fine except for bad head trauma and a bruised right arm. I don't remember how we got here. The last I do remember was telling the EMT guy my name and age. Other than that, nothing, nada, zilch.

Caden was unconscious on the bed beside mine, drugged up on painkillers. God knows he needed them more than anything for the hits he took.

"Sage!" I hear a faint voice calling my name. I'm not gonna lie, I was high on painkillers too. Really powerful ones which I liked. It kept me numbed. Looking up, I saw two very familiar figures running at me. When they finally came to my clear vision, I knew the redhead instantly. As I would like to call her 'Mom'. She grabbed me with tears in her brown eyes and pulled me in her arms, sniffing in my hair with her motherly affection "oh... oh thank the lord that you're safe." She kissed my head and I winced badly because I was still hurting.

As she pulled away, another pair of arms wrapped itself around me and I knew that woody smell all too well...dad. I looked up at him as he smiled down at me with his grey eyes behind his thick black squared shape glasses. I said faintly "I'm fine... I think. I can't tell because of the painkillers. Can you help me lay back down?" He slowly helped me as I lay down on the most uncomfortable bed in the entire universe. I said "Yeah, worst decision. I would like to be in my room now, please."

It didn't make sense and nor did my brain.

Before I could say something else, I looked past mom and saw... I hope my eyes are not wrong... I saw Sheriff Stone coming towards us. Caden mostly. He talked to his phone and showed Caden to the people behind it. And then he approached me with that phone and said to it "Yes, Natalie, Sage is perfectly fine too." He turned the screen towards me and I saw a couple. One looked like the older version of Caden and the other looked like the older version of Blue.

The older Caden sighed "I hope you're alright, Sage." I didn't answer but dad asked "Who is that?" The sheriff replied "Caden's parents. The hospital contacted me as soon as Caden was brought in through the emergency room. After them, I'm his emergency contact. They made me one before they flew to Seattle for business meetings." Dad took the phone and went a little far away from us talking to Caden's parents. While I stayed in bed with mom holding my hand.

Sheriff wrapped his arms against his chest and asked "How're you holding up?" I sighed "Hurt, drugged, punched, and tired." I looked over at Caden "But still better than that guy." He asked, "What exactly happened, Sage?"