Chapter 13: Curious Caden

I got back home from school

As I got off my bike, I looked to my left and saw dad walking towards the house with Sheriff Stone. They stopped, I saw my dad fixing his laptop bag on his shoulder as they talked to each other. The sheriff glanced at me with a smirk and then talked back to my dad. They nodded and went their separate ways. My dad walking towards me.

I wrapped my arms against my chest and asked dad"Why were you talking to Sheriff Stone?" He fixed his glasses on his nose as he said"He was following up on the drama you caused. That gentleman was asking me if I had seen anything unordinary in the house after that night. I strictly said no."

I shook my head as I felt angry. They still think that I was lying. You know I wasn't.

Dad sighed"Sage, can we talk for a moment?" I nodded my head and he sat on the stairs of the porch, indicating me to sit beside him. I sat and brought my knees up to my chest. He took a deep breath as he said, looking around the neighborhood"It's weird, isn't it? Peace... quietness. In New York, there were just car honks, train noises, and cab drivers screaming." He looked back at me and said with a calm voice like he was trying to make me understand something "Sage, I know that change hasn't been easy. Your mom doesn't like it either. And there are moments that I don't too."

If you think there isn't gonna be the word 'But'... Ha! Wait for it.

He sighed again "But..."

Told you!

He continued"But change is good, Sage. Change is like starting over and not making the same mistake you made before. It's okay to be uncomfortable with change. Some people don't like it at all, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't give it a chance. There is happiness when you trust the process, rather than questioning it. Think about it, son." He slightly ruffled up my hair and got up, going inside the house. I looked up at the sky, as the sunset in, I knew he wasn't wrong. Maybe change is good for me. Maybe this is an adventure for me.

A scary adventure but still an adventure nonetheless.

I stood up and walked inside the house and was greeted by the smell of garlic. Mom was cooking in the kitchen and dad sat on the island, on his laptop, working.

I admired this about them. Dad always prefers to work in the kitchen when mom is cooking. He likes to keep the company. I have even seen him glance up at her once or twice with a smile.

Yeah, change is good. As long as it is peaceful, it's good.

I went upstairs to my room, throwing my bag on the floor, I heard"Boo!" I screamed and turned around to Blue laughing out loud. I put a hand on my heart and said"Blue! You need to stop doing that." She chuckled"I'm sorry. But it's fun. Even though I'm dead, I'm still your boo." And she started laughed out loud. I asked "Where were you? Where did you go? We didn't see you the whole day, Blue." She shrugged "I don't know. It feels like I just blinked and now I'm here in your room."