24. October 22nd

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Third Person

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

As children, most of us were bound to follow a routine we adapted to the surroundings we were in and developed ways to survive in our environment. We continued to adapt through to adulthood but, during adulthood it's different.

As kids, we were blank slates, innocent and naive. We were able to adapt with a fresh start, if you grew in a healthy environment majority of the time you turned out alright. When you were born in unhealthy environments life wasn't quite the same, especially with the stigma that those who grew up in troubled homes were more closed off, violent, emotionless. We all know that one kid we were told to stay away from, they were trouble, bad company.

When in reality they were a child who grew up paying for their parent's mistakes, they were isolated and they became lonely and pessimistic. Angry at the world, and all that anger stayed stored inside them until they became the one thing they resented most, their parents.

Well at least that's what we were told, but the trouble is with rumours and stories is that we have only heard them we never read them for ourselves, so we tend to miss the bigger picture.

Sometimes the most pessimistic, heartless children came from what society deemed to be a good household whilst others, the optimists came from the 'damaged' backgrounds. If you looked at it from a different angle I guess it made sense because when you've experienced the worst you never tend to go any lower and when you're at your peak if you don't keep working to stay at the top the only thing you'll do if fall.

Iris for one hated the idea that trauma seemed to give people thicker skin, that it made them stronger and more hard-hearted because it never did that for her.

She was one of those kids whose past made her more sensitive, it's made her cry more easily and made her get overwhelmed at anything and everything. She over thought the simplest of situations and she drowned in her thoughts until she hit the bottom because she never became untouchable or fearless.

I guess that just wasn't her narrative.

Flashback (Iris is 7 years old)

Iris had stayed in her room all day, she'd gone without breakfast, lunch and now dinner.

But now she really needed to pee.

For some reason her mother got angrier than usual on October 22nd, her cries lasted longer, her shouts got louder and the hits that Iris receive were heavier.

Iris remembered the first time her mother slapped her, it was an 'accident' she just lost her temper. Iris briefly remembered her mother insisting how she didn't mean it and promised it wouldn't happen again.

Iris was four.

Then a few months later the slaps turned into punches, and the 'accidents' became more frequent, but the routine always stayed the same, the excuses came followed by apologies.

And Iris just forgave her every time, it was her mother after all, and with no one around to teach her any different Iris always thought what her mother was doing was normal.