1.2

As the car rolled into place, Y/N felt like her heart had climbed into her throat- she close to releasing bile and she didn't know if she could hold out any longer. When her mother told her that her father planned on taking her skating, a heavy pressure set in her chest.

She just couldn't get a break could she?

Was the universe trying to play a prank on her? What on earth had she done to deserve such punishment?

"Alright kiddo let's go!" Marty grinned excitedly from next to her. He absolutely adored hockey. From playing in his youth to now coaching the tim bits, he lived and breathe on the ice. Sadly he never took the next step to join the NHL, but Y/N knew that if he could go back in time, he would do so in a heartbeat.

Lugging herself from the car, Y/N frowned the entire walk across the parking lot into the rec centre. Her Black beanie was snug to her head- the pom pom atop her head bouncing with the wind. Her winter coat was wrapped tightly around her- keeping the horrid windchill at bay while her gloves did the same.

As her father trudged along behind her, he swung the hockey back over his shoulders- inside, two pairs of skates waiting to be sharpened. "I thought we could work on your skating skills- that way once summer camps start, you could help me coach the kids." he suggested.

Even though he meant well, that sounded like the worst thing in the world to Y/N. She didn't want to go anywhere near the ice. Not if it meant having to pull on a pair of skates and embarrass herself. The last time she had gone was with tyler and she fucking hated how the uinverse seemed to be intent on reminding her of him at every turn.

But her mother's words rang in the back of her head. "Cheer up a little" her misery had obviously not gone unnoticed, and if Helen had called Marty about her, that meant they were worried. So she had to suck it up and put on a smile. For the sake of her parents.

"Yeah- that sounds great." she lied, pressing her lips into a thin line and doing her best not to freak out.

Waiting for her father against the wall, Y/N watched as a young boy behind the counter sharpened their skates for them. Her dad pretty much knew everyone who worked there so it wasn't unfamiliar for Y/N to become lost in the background as her father struck up a conversation with the person working.

She liked seeing him so happy, he hadn't been so at the end of his divorce, but now he had sheila and his new life he was a lot better.

A few minutes passed before he returned holding two freshly sharpened skates. "A perfect edge for your majesty." Marty chuckled, passing Y/N her skates.

Cringing at his words, Y/N's cheeks flushed, bowing her head down as she walked with him towards the rink. As they entered the small arena the air instantly became brisker- having to be kept to temperature for the ice.

Since they were attending the night time public skate, there weren't many people there. Thus, Y/N relaxing just a bit- at least if she fell, it would only be in front of her father and a couple of old people.

She found them a spot near the glass so they could put their skates on together, setting their bags down and tossing their boots aside. Y/N would be lying if she said she didn't go a bit slower than necessary just to avoid having to get on the ice.

Her dad was done before her, standing up and heading out for a couple of laps on her own.

After stalling for as long as possible, Y/N walked herself down towards the rink. Pouting ever so slightly as she stepped onto the ice. It was freshly made, the ice still wet in certain spots that the zamboni had driven over.