Chapter 13: Lady Zareha

A cute voice which didn't fit the current situation, squished in and praised the duke.

Both the duchess and Duke turned their heads- no rather, they looked 'down' at where the voice came from.

"Lettie"

"Mama"

Scarlet was tugging her mother's dress while looking at both of her parents.

"Lettie, isn't lunch time?" Her mother asked while stooping into her eye level.

"Yeah but Fretta said papa is busy and isn't going to eat"

Fretta is the head maid of the Duchy of De Venice.

Although she admire and love the lovable little scarlet, she is quite blunt and straightforward even infront of her. Some servants would coax their words if the topic was too serious for a child but that's not the case for Fretta.

That's why Scarlet quite liked Fretta.

She also need to catch a wind of what's happening inside and outside the Duchy but the only way to do that is to spy to the maids or ask, which didn't go very well.

She also already heard a little bit about the situation.

She only heard that their was a rumour going around about her but that's all.

Everyone didn't want to say anything else and even utter words about it.

As if they treat it as a taboo.

Scarlet ran towards the duke.

Today, Scarlet was cuter than ever before as her white snowy silver was tied into two parts, creating a pigtail with pink ribbons on top.

Adding her cute dress with frills at the hem of skirts going down her knees. Ribbons also attached as decorations, making her look mere even lovelier.

The Duke who saw this,got up from his seat, knelt and stretched his arms, hugging her daughter in his arms and lifting her up.

"Lettie, you shouldn't skip your meals"

"That's right, if you don't eat properly you wouldn't be able to grow taller" added by her mother.

"It's not like I'm going to skip meals, I was just delaying it" Scarlet pouted.

"Besides, I'm here to help papa so we can eat together!" Scarlet smiled and turned her head to the papers in her father's desk.

This was the plan she made.

She was lacking information inside the Duchy and lately her father was being stressed with his work and always has dark circles around his eyes.

'This is killing two birds with one stone!'

Her parents blinked.

"What do you mean?" Her father asked.

"I also want to help to the work of the Duchy!" She proudly proclaimed, not minding the fact that she's physically 6 years old.

"Lettie, the work is hard and you haven't even taken the successor's classes yet. I'm sure it would be hard so until then you should just play. Besides starting next month you'll have to take new classes." Her mother refuted.

"But isn't okay if I get familiar to what papa do as work? Besides I'm only trying it tho"

"Well.... There is no harm..." Her father said.

The duchess looked at her husband with eyes saying his absurd.

She glared at her husband and he just averted his eyes.

The truth is, the duke just want to spend time with his daughter while at work. A stress reliever to also add.

And that reasoning was evident in his face.

The duchess sighed.

"...fine"

"Hehe" Scarlet giggled in victory.

"But for now, let's go eat.... Oh wait, I almost forgot. Lettie, were going to the imperial palace tomorrow, so prepare, okay?"

The duke's face distorted.

"Why? Wait, are you meeting Lady Zereha?"

"That's right. Last time, she didn't know our Lettie visited the imperial palace and she wanted to meet her"

Lady Zereha friedrick is a widow and the half sister of the current king.

The duchess is close to Lady Zereha as they had a lot in common, and favored each other.

Lady Zareha married the second son of the house Marquise Friedrick.

Unfortunately, the eldest son of the Marquise Friedrick had some connections and played part on the coup d'etat.

The second son was betrayed and was unwillingly used as he can go in and out of the palace.

Later, The second son was to be killed by the rebels but the duke of De Venice saved him.

Sadly, he was already in the death's door and didn't made it out.

By that time Lady Franthia (Scarlett's mom) and Lady Zareha was already friends and she comforted her in times of dark.

It is also said that lady Zareha was the one who connected the duke and lady Franthia, making them a couple.

'Mother really favors her, huh? I'm kind of excited'

'wait now is the chance!'

Scarlett's eyes lit.

"Then, mom! Since mom really likes lady Zareha, can I go out and find her a gift for our first meeting?" She said with a big smile