Chapter 23

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 23

Hunter

I can't believe we're here. This was supposed to be this big special night for the family. Grandma was going to announce the Arizona project for the company and I finally got a date with Wyatt. I've been waiting to get a chance with him for so long. I know we're faking our relationship for the family but still I've got a chance to get his attention.

Thanks to Uncle Adam the whole night has been screwed.

I don't understand how he can do this to Grandma. I remember when I was little he was actually a nice guy. He'd play with us kids, he would play football with the family and he was fun. He changed through the years into a stuffy suit only worried about the bottom line of the business. He began working more than being with his family and in the process hurt his wife and child.

I don't remember my biological grandfather but I've heard a lot of stories about him. None of them were good. He was ruthless and cunning, deceitful and hard. Dad said he was a good role only to show him that he wanted to be the exact opposite of who my grandfather was. Now Adam is just like him.

The stories used to tear at my heart. The cheating and lying the old man did to Grandma. The manipulation of all my uncle's lives, all to get my dad to the top of the NFL. Grandfather was determined that nothing but the best would do when Dad just wanted to play ball. He got there anyway but that was because he worked hard for it. After my grandfather died, Daddy's did his best to fix everything the old man did to hurt this family.

The only thing he couldn't fix was how grandfather hurt my Grandma. Nothing could change his lying cheating ways and with three illegitimate kids because of it, his indiscretions were always in her face. Somehow Grandma got through all the lies and deceit with her head held high and made it out better than before. I know a lot of that is because of Grandpa Jim. In a way I think he saved Grandma.

I wish he could save her now.

Grandma has never been sick. She's healthier than most people her age. I know she's getting older, we've all been seeing the change happening but it's more not just age now. We don't know exactly what's wrong with her. The dizzy spells and headaches, memory loss and confusion at times, just isn't who Georgia Bradford is. She's the rock of our family, the glue that holds us together. We are who we are because of her.

She just can't die and leave us when we need her

I'm lost on what to do to help. Dad and Aunt Grace are busy with Grandma. Mama is helping Jim. Matt and Chelsea are dealing with the press and calls asking what happened. It seems everyone has something to keep them busy. Wandering around the halls of the hospital wing, I'm thinking about everything I could have done for Grandma to keep this from happening.

"It's really poor taste to come here after all that happened at the party. You do know my son will be  marrying Leighton." His snobbish voice whispered angrily. "The best someone like you can get from him is a side piece. Even that won't last long. You just don't have what it takes to be a Bradford."

I know that obnoxious voice.

Walking closer to the corner I peek around the edge and see Uncle Adam talking to Riley. He has her cornered by the coffee machine and from the looks of it, trying to intimidate her.

That little rat bastard!

The expression on Riley's face says it all. He's dehumanizing her, treating her as if she's not worthy of a Bradford. I know how he is, I've gotten a similar speech from him only telling me that my Drake blood has tainted his brother's lineage. Resting my cheek against the wall, I listen in on their conversation to hear what he's saying to Riley.