Chapter 9 - Masks

A red microchip rotates slowly in the light while a large figure stands in the darkness. It is clad in black armor with additional steel plating to reinforce key areas, and wears a mask that hides the entire face. It's black, with a red-orange circle in the center whose edges touch both eyes. The figure reaches toward the chip, revealing a steel-gloved hand, and cocks one eyebrow in surprise.

At the other side of the suspension field, you're seen hanging upside down. "Buddy, you're going to regret sneaking in to steal this." You drop from your perch and deliver a kick that sends the thief tumbling across the darkened area.

All the lights now turn on, revealing the other Titans and the place as a chamber stuffed with supercomputers. A laser beam lances down from above, which you jump out of its way in response to your spider sense. A section of the ceiling is being cut away from above, with the piece falling in a cloud of dust, and several more intruders leap in.

You do a few backflips to stay ahead of the next laser blast and soon has one of the new arrivals coming right for you. You blocked and dodged several blows, then tried a counter-kick that staggerd your opponent for only a few moments. The masked figure whips out a blaster, something like a set of brass knuckles with a muzzle on the front edge, and opens fire. A few acrobatic tricks carry you out of danger, and then retaliate with a jumping roundhouse kick that sends the attacker crashing into the far wall.

Starfire, just above, backs quickly across the scene to evade the shots from a squad member who jumps after her. She gathers herself and puts a starbolt where it belongs, in which the attack sends her attacker skidding across the floor. The next one jumps even higher, up to the level of the large ceiling-mounted spotlights that illuminate the place, and blasts at her. The lens of one light is struck and begins to fall loose, which she is directly underneath and about to be crushed, but Robin leaps across and plows her away just in time. The lens crashes to the ground.

The dust thrown up from the impact clears to show Robin setting Starfire down. She is a bit dazed, but soon snaps to with a gasp.

The Boy Wonder turns around. "Huh?"

Across the room, several squad members level their weapons but before they can shoot, computer cabinet slides across and bulldozes them.

Cyborg is seen wiping his hands, the source of the action earlier. "Amazing what you can do with computers these days." He runs toward the heart of the battle as Raven floats backward into view, staying just ahead of a laser beam.

Another one is fired from midair. She creates a shield around herself, and both it and the beam disintegrate when they make contact. The enemy runs toward her and starts throwing punches, which she stops by forming small barriers in front of herself as she slowly backs up. A low kick cuts her legs out from under her.

The blaster is aimed at point-blank range, but before it can be fired, Beast Boy, as a bighorn sheep, rams its wielder into the wall. Raven stands and stares in genuine surprise as the green Titan changes back in human form. The knocked out commando lies crumpled in a heap.

Beast Boy taunts at his fellow teammate. "You owe me big time, you owe me big–"

On the end of this, another one jumps down into view behind him, runs up, and gets ready to let him have it. As he finally turns to look, too late to save himself, two computers slide into view from opposite directions under Raven's control and crush the would-be shooter between them. Beast Boy yells in fright and throws up his arms to protect himself, though the hardware falls away and so does the smashed figure. Raven winds down her powers and gives Beast Boy a hard stare, and a big drop of sweat appears on his temple.

"Call it even?" He blushed and chuckled nervously.

Cyborg, meanwhile, has reached the center of the room. Bringing out his sonic cannon, he starts to blaze away and soon has help in the form of Starfire's fusillade. One of the thieves leaps impossibly high to avoid the blasts, then pushes off from the wall and sails straight toward the chip.