Chapter 13 - Apprentice (Part 2)

Sunset

Jump City

"Spider-Man? Spider-Man! Where are you?"

Raven speaks over the communicator. "It's useless, Robin. What makes you think he'll answer this time?... I've already tried."

"Maybe if I just try one more–"

Beast Boy cuts in. "Come on, Robin. If he's gonna pick up, he'd have done it by now. 'Sides, you're kinda giving me a headache."

"But why doesn't he respond? Where could he be?"

"Spider-Man and Cinderblock definitely went a few rounds." Cyborg is in the sewer at the site of your battle. "But I can't tell who won, or where they went."

On a computer map of Jump City, four spots are flashing on it. One shows an R, one a C, one a B, and one an S: the positions of the others.

"No sign of him here, either." Raven is at a console in the operations center of Titans Tower. Night has fallen. "His locator is still offline. I've been monitoring all the frequencies, but he hasn't checked in."

Starfire flies over the streets of Jump City. "Oh, we are bad friends! We should never have left Spider-Man to do battle alone."

Beast Boy, as a monkey, jumps onto a roof and takes human form. "Yeah, especially since Slade's big doodad was a dud." He jumps away again.

Raven studies a computer schematic of the detonator. "The Chronoton Detonator wasn't a dud. It was a decoy to lure us away from Spider-Man, and we fell for it."

Cyborg groans loudly and slams a fist against the wall of the sewer tunnel. "I shoulda known that thing was a fake!"

"But why? Why did Slade wish to separate us from Spider-Man?" Starfire asked.

Robin stands on a rooftop, overlooking the city. He cogitates about everything that had happened in the past few hours, the events that would lead up to your sudden disappearance. "This is all my fault... if I had listened to him, he wouldn't have disappeared like this..."

"What do you mean?" Asked Raven as the others ceased their actions and listened, curious to hear their leader's thoughts.

"I mean... Spider-Man pushed me out of the way from Cinderblock's grasp. Slade never planned that to happen."

"So, you're saying that Slade wanted you and not Spider-Man?" Cyborg tried to piece the situation together.

"But wouldn't you just go missing instead of Spider-Man? Whatever happened to him, the same would've happen to you then." Assumed Beast Boy.

"That may be, but still... Spider-Man being missing is my fault."

"It isn't your fault, Robin. None of us knew that this outcome would happen. So even if you tried to keep a level-headed, Spider-Man would still save you either way... that is just how he is." Raven consoled their leader.

Robin feels somewhat a little bit better. "You're right, Raven, knowing him... he can handle himself just fine. But it still doesn't help the fact that the detonator was a decoy... so what was Slade's real plan?" An urgent alarm then starts up, which Robin fires his grappler at a nearby building. "Titans! Trouble!"

------

A dark silhouetted figure free-falls toward a tall, circular building with an observation deck set a story or two below its roof. Inside, a panel falls from the ceiling, and the intruder drops in the darkened laboratory. He walks across the room and stands before a glass storage vessel that holds a piece of equipment. He smashes the glass with ease and grabs the item.