To Step Out Or Not To Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone

Have you ever felt uncomfortable writing a particular scene? If so, how did you deal with it?

moonvanjoon : Yes. Especially when it’s something that I haven’t experienced in real life. Depending on what it is, I usually do some research and remind myself that the characters and the author are not the same person, though it’s hard because the characters are very dear to my heart.

ennkay_ : Oh my god. I don't know how people write intimate scenes in fanfiction. Just writing a kissing scene based on real people with real feelings makes me feel so uncomfortable lol. Honestly, I just power through it. There have been other scenes that involve violence and assault that of course have made me feel uncomfortable. However, I only include these scenes with the intention of being relevant to the plot somehow. I never include anything that isn't important to character development or the plot of the story. So I usually like to keep that in mind while I'm writing an uncomfortable scene. Like, "I'm super uncomfy but I'm including this for a valid reason."

xxxxxpuxxxx@xxx.com : No I always enjoy writing

aarmiy : YES LMAO Sometimes it's just the romance, it can feel like too much or just CRINGEY, but if I go back to it to see that people really like it I'll convince myself that it's just me and that I should try my best not to change it or at least keep the same essence. Other times, it's because it shows a viewpoint/action/way of life that is different to mine, but I remind myself that that's all part of realism, and that I have the right to shape their actual implications however I want to - it is my book, after all. I don't write any gore or such anyway, if that's what this question was referring to as well, but during the actual writing, if it feels uncomfortable, take a break LOL But also finish the first draft as quick as you can, so you have a better picture of what you're editing instead of overthinking it before you've gotten anywhere.

inbabypink : So far, not really?

I prefer to not writing the scene if I’m not comfortable with it.

But because the book that I wrote is a BTS FF, I definitely wrote things that weren’t real but acted by people who’s existing in real life. So I just have to remind myself that every scenes and every character’s traits were purely the “products” of my imagination and created only for the sake of the story. That’s why it called a fiction.

jjkskiess : When I wrote intimate scenes yes. I always wanted it to be integrated into the story and not be redundant so that was always a thing. Additionally I tried so hard to not make it sound awkward. What helped me was just to think of it as a song. Musically everything turns beautiful to me. I just pictured I was writing lyrics and I don’t know but it really helped. 

xxxxchaxxxx@xxx.com : Not really.

hiseyestell : When writing a scene that makes me so uncomfortable, I take a little more time to write it. It's difficult to go on but I try to see it as a challenge. I remind myself that a writer must be willing to come out of his comfort zone. That it's okay to wrap our minds around not-so-ideal scenarios.

tropicalxsabotage : I definitely have. I've written two r@pe scenes (not descriptive or with details) and they were both hard. I guess the way I dealt with it was knowing that I'm strong enough to write it even though I've been through a similar experience