11. Meeting

I stood staring at my new kitchen for a long while, pondering what to do. Then running the details of the contract through my mind, I wondered whether the probation period can be applied the other way around. To my satisfaction, as well as to theirs. Am I permitted to tell them that they don't meet my standards?

Probably. If I cannot get them to buy real ingredients – I cringed at the thought of the parcooked slime. And if they don't allow me to write menus that use more than the microwave and the deep-fryer, I'll tell them.

How long do I give them? A few days? A week? I turned to examine the office again. Whatever, this needs cleaning.

I found the cleaning closet, chose the freshest-looking cloths from the bin, ran water into a pail, and grabbed two basins and a jug of bleach. Then back in the office, I began by dusting the books, surprised to see the titles: Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Larousse Gastronomique, Le Technique, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, Joy of Cooking, and on and on. Same as on my shelf. Hmmm!

Whoever had been here had aspirations far higher than the fridges and freezer show. From the dust, they likely left soon after Arnie died. Without his direction and inspiration, everything seems to have spiralled down. But down so low? And why leave their books? And their computer? That's likely the restaurant's. The culinary library, as well. 

My mind wandered while I dusted, cleaned and disinfected, and I was surprised by Duncan's voice behind me, "We can have others do this for you, Gianna. It's far below your station." Then with a chuckle, he added, "Besides, their labour is far less expensive than yours."

He pointed out into the dining room. "We're about to begin. Three minutes, or so."

"Thank you." I examined the space. "Seems this area's about done. I'll leave the rest of the kitchen to them."

"Fine." He turned and left.

I sighed as he crossed the kitchen, catching myself admiring his broad shoulders and firm butt. Not the place or time for that, Gigi. Focus on here. 

Barely had I resumed washing the wall when I realised he had come looking for me. Of course, besides Kevin, I'm the most important here. Need to be out there for the meeting. Finish this later – or have it done.

As I settled into a seat, Duncan strode to the centre of the foodservice counter, turned to face into the room and smiled at me. I watched a bulge grow down his thigh until he moved his clipboard to cover it. Then blowing a deep breath, he said, "Alright, let's begin."

He waited for the chatter to quiet, then he continued, "I've met only a few of you, so let me introduce myself. I'm Duncan McSweeny, the temporary manager of the chain, brought in to ensure the transition goes smoothly and to find a profitable way forward."

"Why did you change the name?" Someone a few tables to my right asked.

"It was essential to the deal. The previous owner stipulated that it be changed from Plimpton's to disassociate it from their family. He refused to sign until it was changed."

"Why Hot Potato?" the same voice asked. "Isn't that something controversial, something people want to avoid?"

Duncan laughed. "It's temporary. The entire deal was stalled until the chain was renamed. I heard that when the lawyers could think of nothing fitting, the new owner said, 'Pick a name, any name. Don't let this hot potato spoil the deal.' This happened less than two days ago, and they have more important things to consider than finding a catchy name."

"But the banners?" someone questioned. "Why the expense if it's temporary?"

"Because of the need to immediately change from Plimpton's, so the deal could proceed. It's far less expensive to hang banners to hide the name than it would have been to bring in contractors to remove the signs and install new ones."

I watched people nod as a ripple of quiet talk spread across the room.

Then Duncan said, "Let me place this in context – the chain was not the focus of the purchase. It was a small part of a large corporate acquisition, much of it being mining and mineral exploration companies, plus hi-tech, entertainment and service sector ventures."

"So, they don't want us," someone behind me said.

"I didn't say that. The new owner sees every part as important." Duncan pointed to his chest. "Why else would he have gone to the expense of engaging me?"

"And, who are you? Why do you think you can march in here and fill the void left by Arnie and Freddy?"

"Valid questions. I'm a business consultant engaged by the new owner to prevent the failure of the chain. I specialise in restructuring and turnarounds."

"But without Arnie and Freddy, Plimpton's is nothing."

"We're no longer Plimpton's. And with the changed name, people will soon disassociate us with it. It's the fundamental step in the turnaround of a company that had become focused on two people, rather than on the entire team."

"First, you change the name, then you dishonour them. I'm outta here." A man with a long ponytail rose from his chair and headed toward the door. "Come on, gang. This is crap."

I watched as people moved in their seats, but only two stood and followed the man.

Duncan continued, "The past weeks, with the declining performance of the chain, the Plimpton name has become increasingly sullied. Have you looked at any of the recent reviews? Changing the name will detach Arnie and Freddy from further defamation."

The man and his two cohorts stopped at the door, and I glanced back at Duncan to catch his smile.

"The chain is now deep into its line of credit. Very deep. And if we don't stop the bleeding and give it an infusion, the bank will call it. That means you're all out of a job. Do you want this?"

Duncan looked around the room at all the silence. "No? Then, let's proceed."

While he appeared to be gathering his thoughts, he smiled and pointed at me and a few others, then he continued, "For those who are new to the company and also for those who are not aware of the background, allow me to fill you in. Arnie lived in West Van with his husband, Freddy, who was the Chain Executive Chef. They both died in a car crash on their way home from the opening party of this new branch."

Oh, God! 

Gasps and murmurs spread across the room.

"I learned last evening that both Arnie and Freddy were very talented and energetic, thus the rapid rise of the chain's reputation and success. Unfortunately, neither was good at delegation. Arnie ran the chain from an office in the Broadway branch, handling most roles himself. Fortunately, the accounting and bookkeeping weren't among these, so after his death, staff and suppliers continued to be paid."

Duncan looked at me, then he pointed toward the kitchen office. "Freddy had managed the chain's kitchens, and this new location was designed to allow him to expand that role. The aim was for this to become the prep kitchen for all the branches."

Aha! Aha, aha, aha. That's why all the equipment and...

Duncan's voice interrupted my thoughts, "I'm told Freddy was a great chef and a talented innovator. But he also took on too many roles, and with both him and Arnie gone, a huge void opened and grew. We need to fill that void, but more, we need to set up a structure in which a collapse such as this can't happen again."

He remained silent for a while as he swept his hand back and forth across the gathering. "We need to work together to restructure. Your jobs depend on this."

Then he removed some papers from his clipboard and placed them on the serving counter. "I have sign-in sheets here. Even though we're closed for restructuring, you'll be paid your full rate while you participate in our meetings and workshops."  

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

Did you catch more of Gigi's attraction to Duncan? What about signs of his interest in her?

What do you think about the attitude of the staff early in the meeting?

Has Duncan managed to change this?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.