32. A New Company

I walked in stunned silence as Dunc guided me out of the boardroom, down the long hallway and across the lobby to the bank of elevators. How did I fuck that up? Was it challenging Mr Colewell about the pricing not being a scam? Probably. That's where it turned. Too liberal with my opinions again.

As I watched Dunc call an elevator, my mind continued to spin. Now what? Back to Gigi, the unemployed sous chef. Can't even use exec chef on my resume. Less than half a day in a defunct chain. A failure. He'll likely dump me.

But John's email. Need to look at that again. Côte d'Or, Four Seasons, Pearls. Positions. What was that about? Is he trying to help me? After firing me? Did –

The press of Dunc's hand on the small of my back sent trembles as he guided me into an elevator cabin – empty, thank God. I can cry with only his eyes watching. A last gaze into them – maybe he'll take pity.

As the elevator doors closed, he pulled me into a tight embrace. "Superb, Gigi. Absolutely superb."

My attempt to question was smothered by his lips, and I melted into the kiss, lost until he ended it and straightened up when the elevator slowed and stopped.

Three people entered, and as our descent resumed, Dunc said, "We'll have to set up a company to handle this, Gigi."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"It needs to be done through a third party; otherwise, it would be seen as insider trading."

"I'm completely lost."

"Because I'm employed by them, I can't be involved. It would be best if we set it up as a sole proprietorship – simpler and much faster than incorporating."

"You're talking in riddles, Dunc. And I'm too shocked to make sense of any of it at the moment."

The elevator stopped a few more times, people entering and leaving while we rode in silence, my mind spinning. Then, at the ground floor, Dunc took my hand and led me through the crowded lobby and out onto Georgia Street before he spoke again, "What would you like to call it, Gigi?"

"Hunh? Sorry, I've wandered off – analysing what I had said to cause such a disappointing outcome. I've missed your context."

"Disappointing? Not at all, Gigi. This evolved far better than I had hoped. I had expected to pay a million and a half for it, and that would have been a bargain. One point one is a windfall for us."

"Oh!" As realisation swept through me, I pulled Dunc's hand, spun him to a stop and wrapped my arms around him. "You're buying it. Stupid me! I had thought we had lost it."

He chuckled. "That explains your confusion. But you're buying it, not me – third-party, beyond arm's length and all that – for propriety."

"How? I don't have one point one million, not even point one."

"But I have, and that's the reason for setting up the company."

I squeezed him tighter, blotting my tears on his suit coat. "For me? You would do this for me?"

"A while ago in bed, when you mentioned your dream, I began –"

"You manipulated this?"

He shrugged. "I know how much George dislikes liabilities, even potential and non-current ones, so I calculated them all, allowing the figures to paint a completely honest but far darker picture than the reality of the situation."

"And he bit."

"Yup, holus-bolus. Then, knowing Mr Colewell's soft spot of not wanting to distress employees, I recommended a quick sale."

I chuckled. "Not only a drop-dead gorgeous sex god but conniving and brilliant, as well."

"I love how you see me." He unwrapped the embrace, took my hand and led me toward the SkyTrain escalator.

As we descended, I asked, "So, how do we proceed from here?"

"First, we register a name and then a proprietorship."

"How long does that take?"

"A quarter-hour or less."

"Wow! So fast."

"Used to take weeks. Most people opted to engage a lawyer to go through the process, but now it's done online with a few computer clicks and a credit or debit card."

"And after that?"

"I'll list it for sale, your company will offer a million and fifty thousand, and I'll recommend it be accepted. I'll make just under twenty-five thousand commission on the sale, so the cost will be only a million and twenty-five thousand or so."

"You make a commission? How? A kickback from the broker?"

Dunc chuckled. "No, I'm the agent – I still have my real estate license and a private commercial brokerage."

"You were a real estate agent?"

"Still am. That's where I made a good portion of my fortune. The escalation since the 2008 slump has offered superb opportunities."

I grinned at him. "Note to self. Add financial whiz and entrepreneur to my list."

"So, what would you like to call the company?"

"What would you suggest? I don't know what sort of name works."

"Something simple, such as Gallini Holdings or Gallini Ventures."

"I like that. What about GG Holdings?"

"We can search. Likely already taken – most of the short initial ones are. It has to be unique, unregistered and not easily confused with other names."

I nodded toward the clock as we arrived on the platform. "Nine forty-three. How long will that take?"

"It can be done with the application for registration. There's an option to submit three names, and the first acceptable one is chosen."

"Do you need to get into your computer and do that before we meet with the staff?"

"I can go through the process from wherever. Begin it on the train, and continue in your office while we wait for eleven. Do the brokerage listing from there, as well. Take your offer, accept it and present it to Mr Colewell."

"Won't they see that as strange? So fast?"

"My thought was to stretch out the process to make it appear more normal."

"Why not return to Mr Colewell's office? Tell him I've decided to buy it. Deal directly. Drop the offer a bit more, explaining they are saving the brokerage commission. Then we'll have something solid to tell the staff."

Dunc stopped, lifted me off my feet and spun in a circle. "Brilliant, Gigi. Absolutely brilliant."

With my feet back on the platform, he led me toward the up escalator, and as we ascended, he pulled out his phone. "I'll make an urgent booking through Mrs Nguyen. Then I'll register your company."

"Do I still need a company?"

"It's better for tax purposes. Then later, we'll incorporate it, so it's even more advantageous to you."

"Ummm!" The tingles again. Need to tell him. I reached up and caressed his cheek. "I love you, Dunc."

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

Is Gigi's initial misunderstanding realistically presented?

What do you think of her suggestion to deal directly?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.