38. Of Leads and Leadership

Sergeant Royston invited us to sit, then she asked, "Have you any other information that we could use to locate him?"

I nodded. "Yeah, Constable Singh had taken the information from his driver's license. You could track him through that."

"We've checked it. He's unknown at that address, and he's not updated his data in four years. Does he have a car?"

"The start of one." I laughed. "I used to kibitz him about it. A tiny electric he called a Mercedes-Benz Smart; I called it a Start."

"Do you remember the license number?"

I pulled out my phone. "No, but possibly in here. I shot some photos of it parked inside the hollow tree in Stanley Park and in other crazy places; hopefully, it shows in one of them. But even if it doesn't, he'll be easy to find. Just watch his favourite free charging stations."

"Charging stations?"

"He regularly used the free plug-ins at Home Depot below the condo and in the old shed parking on Granville Island."

"Excellent! Note those, Gwan. Now, what new information have you, Mr McSweeny?"

Dunc showed her the note and told her about the new upload while I searched through my photos. 

When I found the series, I zoomed in on one, fist-pumped and turned the phone for Dunc and the sergeant to see

When I found the series, I zoomed in on one, fist-pumped and turned the phone for Dunc and the sergeant to see. "Here's a bunch with his plate number and good shots of him."

After I had sent three photos to the sergeant's computer and we had discussed other details, Constable Gwan escorted us out of the inner sanctum to the lobby and thanked us. Then outside on the sidewalk, I looked down at my suit and said, "I'll stay dressed like this. Until he's been arrested, I feel queasy about the condo."

"Yeah." Dunc took my hand and led me toward Hot Potato. "Creepy feeling, isn't it?"

"Very. May I stay with you again tonight?"

"I was going to suggest that you move in with me. It'll be easier sharing our forevers that way."

"Ummm! I'd love that. Too soon, though. Let's do a day at a time. Allow me to adjust to it."

"Okay. But we might have to stop at your place on our way back, so you can pack some clothes and things. Either that or shop for new." He chuckled. "Though I don't mind sharing my toothbrush and comb, having your own would make your adjustment easier."

I winced. "Definitely stop at my place. I need my Alysena."

"Alysena?"

"My birth control pills. Missed taking one last night."

"Oh, darn! From my limited understanding, that means we now need condoms."

"No, it's okay; it was the first placebo. I took it this morning, so I wouldn't lose count."