12. Introductions

I watched and listened as the mood of the room lifted from sombre to something much lighter. When the hubbub had quieted a bit, Duncan continued, "We'll take a break now while you sign in. Then we'll separate into six groups, each group being one of our branches."

He reached behind and lifted a large tent card from the counter. "Branch Managers, I have table signs here for you. Come get yours, and I'll instruct you on how to proceed."

Logical, organised and efficient – much more than a handsome hunk with a huge package. He's obviously done this before. Company branches and departments would be similar.

After the managers had met, I watched Kevin organise the moving of tables and chairs into a large hollow square. Elsewhere in the room, five other meeting tables were assembled, three like Kevin's and two long ones, resembling those in a boardroom.

A quarter-hour or so later, long after the room had been reorganised, most people were standing in small groups and talking. Lively talk. Friendly talk. But of course, they work together; they know each other. I know nobody – except Duncan. And I suppose, Kevin. Though strange, still not a word from him. Maybe I should initiate...

Duncan's voice interrupted my thoughts, "Alright, everyone. Time to begin. Please, find your table and have a seat. The managers will take it from there."

When I approached the Olympic Village table, Kevin pulled out a chair for me, and as I settled into it, I said, "Thank you, Kevin."

He smiled and nodded; then, he sat in the next chair. "Don't worry, Ms Gallini. Most here have been friends for a long while, some for years. You'll soon feel more at ease. That's the purpose of our first exercise – to get to know each other."

"Yes, of course. How long have you been here?"

"Since the week before the opening. Training and practising and doing the soft openings before the grand."

"So, you were at one of the other branches before that."

"No, a new hire from outside. You'll hear more shortly." He acknowledged greetings as others arrived and sat.

I counted the chairs around our table – six to a side. "Looks like we'll be twenty-four."

"It was short notice, and some are on their days off. If all came – but they won't – we'd be thirty-one."

"Oh, and with six branches, there wouldn't be enough seats inside."

Kevin chuckled. "No problem. The other branches are all smaller than this one, two of them with only sixteen staff. But it's time to begin."

He rose from his chair and said, "Many of you know each other, but we have six new staff among us. What we'll do is stand and introduce ourselves in this format – name, background, position, new or length of time with Plimpton's, previous positions and training. I'll begin, and we'll go clockwise around the table. Any questions?"

Hearing none, he continued, "Fine, then. I'm Kevin Chang, eighth-generation Chinese-Canadian. I'm the manager of this branch, hired from outside just before the opening. Started in the kitchen of my uncle's pub twenty years ago, learning as I worked. Did most everything, and when he sold, I was hired here."

As he sat, the woman to his left stood. "Hey, all. Hope you're as excited as I am to see this rescue. I'm Lisa Fong, part of the Hong Kong migration twenty years ago. I'm the bar manager and sommelier, and I was hired for the opening. Before this, I ran the wine program at two of the Coast Hotels. I have my CWE and CMS-3, and my initial training was at Fine Art Bartending."

The introductions continued in this manner, showing the diverse backgrounds, training and experience of the staff. Halfway around, the man with the long ponytail stood. "Still don't know if I'll stay, but Melvin Prentice, pure Canadian. Line cook. With Plimpton's since the beginning. Worked with Freddy before that." He shrugged and sat.

"And your training?" Kevin asked.

"All on-the-job, but started with a night-school cooking course back in 1993. Not a newbie like most here."

Oh, God! Twenty-five years and still a line cook. I listened to the others as their turns came, focusing on the culinary staff, hoping to find some with advanced training and experience. Only ten of them. Duncan had said twelve. Days off? Not interested? Abandoned the ship as it foundered? Whatever, it's my turn.

I stood and said, "What an interesting group we are. Such varied backgrounds. I'm Gianna Gallini, the product of an Italian father and a French mother, and you may call me GG or Gigi. I was hired an hour ago as the Executive Chef. The past two years and a bit, I was the Sous Chef at Cardinal's. Before that, I spent four and a half years in the kitchens of the Four Seasons Hotel, working every section and station. I'm a graduate of the Dubrulle Culinary Institute and of the VCC Hospitality Management programme." I shrugged. "That's about it."

As I sat, Melvin the ponytail said, "Way overqualified for this mess, missy. Get outta here and find someplace better."

I shook my head. "Why? I've been hired to make this place better." Oh, God! Where did that come from?

"Yes, and we are all here to make that happen," Duncan's words from so near startled me. Then in a louder voice, he continued, "Alright, everyone. We've now finished this first exercise, and I hope you've all gained a greater appreciation of others on the team. I certainly have."

He paused for a few moments as people shifted in their seats to look at him. "Team. That's what we want. What we need. The entire company is a team. And each branch is a separate team. Separate but working with the other teams. And within each branch are teams. The culinary team, the beverage team, the service team and the management team. But all working together. Teamwork, not individual work."

He held up another set of table signs. "We'll reorganise into groups by role – chainwide. The culinary team, the beverage team and the service team."

As I stood, I heard ponytail grumble, "Fucking waste of time. Playing fucking musical chairs."

My mind quelled my gut's urge to comment.

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

Did you see Gigi's confidence gradually increase and then deflate?

Do you think Duncan inspires the staff? Or is it just a lot of words?

What are your thoughts on Ponytail?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.