45. On a Plate

"You won't be interfering, Marcy. On the contrary, you'll be assisting – like my learning to rub Gigi's neck and head like this by observing you. You know her better than anyone, and she's far too precious to me to not take advantage of your experience and insights."

Oh, God! Tingling swept through me.

"Wow! Just wow. G had said you're one in a billion."

Dunc chuckled. "But the old saying, Marcy – it takes one to know one. Come, let's share the evening and all get to know each other better."

In my condo a while later, after I had changed into jeans and hoodie, I pulled a wheeled suitcase from my closet. "Grandma gave me this last Christmas, trying to convince me to accompany her on a cruise." I winced. "Never been used – nor the two inside it."

I unzipped the case and the two others, and as I began packing, Dunc said, "I'll run along and get my car. Be easier that way."

"I don't feel safe here without you."

"Marcy's here."

"Of course. Stupid me." I turned to him and spread my arms. "Hug me before you go, Dunc."

A minute later, as the door clicked behind him, I sighed. "Strange. This place used to be so warm and welcoming – my refuge from the world. Now, it's cold and scary."

"The damage from emotional violence." Marcy grimaced as she pulled me into a hug. "I looked it up and researched it after you kicked the asshole out. Hadn't realised how debilitating it can be. But you're safe, G. I'll always be here for you."

"Yeah."

A while after I had returned to packing, I paused. "Should put the pasta maker in and pack around it."

"Pasta maker?"

"Need to do fresh macaroni, and he doesn't have one."

Marcy chuckled. "Few single men would." Then she tilted her head. "Always single? What do you know about his past? Skeletons in the closet? An angry ex? Don't need another like Garth."

I looked up from stuffing a bundle. "In his teens, he was diagnosed as asexual, both by his doctor and two psychiatrists. To avoid the hassle, he withdrew socially and hasn't dated since."

"Hmmm! The taste on your lips and that bulge up his belly when we met – those certainly show he's fully sexual. Hugely so. Careful, G. Asexual seems to be a concocted line, possibly a ploy to lower your defences."

"He realised yesterday that he's demi. Neither of us could figure why he was popping boners like an adolescent schoolboy when I flirted with him."

"Hunh? How does that show he's demi? Most men would grow a stiffy at your flirting – just that hungry look you give causes my clit to go sproing. You're far and away the most alluring person I've ever met."

"Aww, gee! That's sweet, Marce. But we analysed that he's sapio-demi. Instantly attracted to me through my resumé – particularly by my Mensa and Three Nines memberships. He's been taking the test for years, but he always falls a point or two short of one fifty. By the time he interviewed me, he was infatuated, and his demi began to kick in."

"Hmmm! Plausible, but you still need to be careful."

"If he's acting or hiding something, why would he invite you to join us this evening?"

"Think of his wanting a three-way hug, G. Could be into group sex."

"Hah! You wish. But he's far too innocent – too naïve for that."

"How do you know?"

"He was so awkward. Asked if he could hold my hand. Asked if he could kiss me." I chuckled. "Then, standing beside the bed, both nude and eyeing each other, he asked permission to fuck me."

"Could be a great actor. A role he routinely plays."

I shook my head. "One cannot act being as awkward as he was when we finally made it onto the bed. God, so endearing."

Marcy laughed. "Yeah, okay. Like the ones I've initiated."

"Never done a virgin before. So wonderfully trainable." I pointed toward the stairs. "Need to get the pasta maker."

A while later, as I packed the third suitcase, Marcy said, "Appears you're moving in with him."

"No, just a night at a time. Give me a chance to adjust."

"Yeah, okay. Don't forget your pills."

"In the toiletries case." I pointed. "And a fresh month, as well."

Marcy snorted. "Yeah, a night at a time in your mind. Looks as if your body has other plans."

I shrugged and smiled. "Takes my mind a while to catch up."

When I had all three cases stuffed to their limits, Marcy and I lugged them down the stairs and rolled them to the door. Then, as we waited for Dunc, we sat on the couch and discussed the schedule leading up to Hot Potato's opening.

After several minutes, I looked at the clock and said, "It's taking him a long time."

Marcy chuckled. "Missing him, are you?"

"More worried. He's only three and a half blocks from here. Ten minutes there and back, quarter-hour at the most. Getting close to forty minutes, now."

"Parking's awkward around here."

"Once around the block with nothing, he'd use the parkade."

"Phone him. He could be lost down there – looking for the right elevator."

"Don't have his number. Oh, wait. He texted me from it." I took my phone from the hoodie pouch and thumbed in, went to texts and scrolled to his. Then entering his number, I called.

"Hello."

"Dunc, it's Gigi. Where are you?"

"Almost at your door. Be there in a few secs."

I clicked off, rushed to the door and opened it.

Dunc entered and pulled me into a tight embrace. "The police are staked out at Garth's car."

"What? How so?"

"On a hunch, I drove past the recharge plugs below Home Depot and recognised his plate number from your photos."

"You remembered it?"

"I play mental games with license plates, and his is impossible to forget – it shows him as the stupid ass that he is."

"Hunh?"

"It's AS5 11S – ass I is. I called the police and reported finding his car. Also, the extortion attempt. They're now in round-the-clock shifts in an unmarked car across the aisle from it."

"Oh, thank God!"

"Yeah, and thank that the ass is a creature of habit." Dunc released the hug and grabbed the two largest suitcases. "Come, let's go home."

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

Do you think Marcy had ulterior motives in raising doubts about Dunc's background?

What are your thoughts on finding Garth's car?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.