Chapter 11 {Drought}

2 Months Later; October 21st     

I heard footsteps behind me so I turned around to see Reese walking out with a blonde haired guy. I had stayed the night at their house but I didn't know Reese brought a boy home. Once she came back in from walking him out the door I stomped my foot on the ground. Reese practically jumped at the sound. "Jesus B!" I laughed. "What are you hooking up with random people now?" "You can't be one to talk!" "I'm only sleeping with one person. There's a difference."
"Not when your sleeping with my brother." I laughed. "What are you doing up anyway?" "I got to go tag the cows, make sure they're healthy so we can get them to market, and then I got to get to the diner." She nodded. "That's where I'm heading now." "Coffee?" She nodded and walked over. I handed her a cup and she went upstairs. I put my boots on my feet before I walked upstairs to say bye to Riley.

He was sitting on the edge of his bed pulling his own boots onto his feet. He was already dressed in jeans, a sweatshirt, and a Carhartt jacket, a ball cap on his head.  "I'm gonna head out." "Alright." I gave him a sweet kiss. "I'll see you later, please don't get hurt." I said to him. He was gonna get in the skid steer and knock down a stone wall so that he could build a small bar with a firepit at the top of his land then they were gonna gonna take the fourwheelers and cut down some of the trees. It was Parker, Krew, Blake, and Riley so I was a little worried to say the least. "We'll be fine honey." "There better be 40 fingers still attached to 8 hands when I get back." He got up and came over to me. "I'll be fine sweetheart." God he knew how to sweep me off my feet with the nicknames. Darling, honey, sweetheart were among my favorite things that he calls me. "Well, I gotta get going if I'm gonna meet the vet on time." He nodded. "Do you want me to send him out to check on your herd when he's done with mine?" "Yeah, if you don't mind." I nodded. "Alright, I'll see you later." He pulled me into a hug and a quick kiss before I went downstairs.

The sun was just starting to rise by the time I pulled into my driveway. Cody was just leaving the house to go to school. "Hey Brynlee." "Hey. Have a good day at school." She nodded and continued walking. I could hear the grass crunch beneath my feet. It was practically hay at this point. We've been in a drought since September 13th and it didn't seem like it was gonna rain anytime soon. I saw the kitchen light on so I walked into the house. Charlotte was sitting at the table with my dad and Krew was getting a cup of coffee. "Hey Brynlee." I waved before walking upstairs. I changed into jeans, muck boots, and a sweatshirt with a Carhartt jacket on top. I braided my hair and placed a Carhartt beanie on my head. I walked past my dad and almost out the door but he stopped me.

"Brynlee, wait." "Yeah dad?" "Do you mind doing the rest of the herd on your own?" "Yeah. Are you feeling alright?" "Just not feeling the best today." I nodded. "Get some rest." "I will." I grabbed the keys to my four wheeler and the thermos of coffee and rode out to the barn where the last couple heifers were. The vet was already there checking out the first one. "Morning Dale. Sorry I'm late." "Your good darling. This heifer looks good." I nodded. "Hey Dale, your friends with my dad, has he been acting weird lately?" "He was having chest pains the other day but nothing else." "Thanks Dale."

After Dale checked out the rest of my heifers and the horse we found a couple weeks ago that was injured, I sent him over to Riley's. I walked into the diner just as Reese was walking out. "Lucky you, you get to leave." "You'll be fine Bry, it's only four hours." "Yeah only." I laughed. I grabbed my note pad and went over to a table in my section. It was an older man and what appeared to be his son.  "Good afternoon, my names Brynlee and I'm gonna be your waitress today. Can I get you both some drinks to get started?" "Yes darling, two cokes please." I placed the menus on their tables and went to get their drinks. "Here you guys go, give me a holler when your ready to order."