Chapter 25 {Homecoming}

2 years later
(Brynlee and Reese are 21, Colton is 22, Riley, Krew, Parker, and Charlotte are 23, Brooke is 38, Blake is 41, Cody is 18, Zach and Dixie are 27, Gunner and Annie are 7,  Lilah is 6, Knox is 4, Nicole is 3, Adelaide is 2 and a half, and Brooke and Blakes twins are 2)

2 years later (Brynlee and Reese are 21, Colton is 22, Riley, Krew, Parker, and Charlotte are 23, Brooke is 38, Blake is 41, Cody is 18, Zach and Dixie are 27, Gunner and Annie are 7,  Lilah is 6, Knox is 4, Nicole is 3, Adelaide is 2 and a half, ...

Adelaide

Lainey

Savannah

Savannah

"Hey how are you feeling?" I asked, walking into Brooke and Blakes house with Reese on my side. "Oh, you know, same old. I'm not as weak today though, so there's that." Brooke answered, setting her daughter on the floor. "You shouldn't be picking her up, she's too big!" Blake reprimanded her. "I'm fine Blake, can we just go please?" He nodded, grabbing her Vera Bradley backpack, throwing it on his shoulder. "We'll be back soon, thanks again for watching the girls." "Anytime, good luck Brooke." Reese walked her aunt and uncle out while I stayed with the girls. "Mommy has a pretty scarf!" Lilah told me showing me a brightly colored pink head scarf.
"It's so pretty Lilah! You should show Savvy and Lainey!" She nodded and sat next to her sisters on the carpet. "Brooke looks better today." "Maybe today. You weren't here with me last night. She couldn't even walk without feeling like she was gonna throw up." I sighed. "The treatments are taking everything out of her, and I talked to my uncle last night and he's just terrified. I mean you saw how he reacted when he walked in and she was holding Savannah." I nodded. "She'll be okay, she's strong. She'll beat this." "Yeah, I hope so."

A couple hours later, Reese took the kids to the bar so I could help Cody get ready to leave. She got accepted into the University of Denver with a degree of nursing. I pulled into the driveway and parked behind Dixie's truck. I got out of my car and walked up to Krew and Charlottes house. They weren't there at the moment, since Adelaide had a doctor's appointment. Dixie and Cody both walked out holding boxes, and I was able to hear what they were talking about. "Dear Rodeo is just one of those songs you wish you wrote." I heard Dixies voice. "I totally agree." I walked up to them just as they reached Cody's Honda Civic. "Hey, how's Brooke?" "She's okay." "I'm gonna head to the bar after this." "So am I." Cody closed the trunk of her car. "Well, that's everything." I stepped over to give her a hug. "I'm gonna miss you kid." "I'll be back in no time." "You better be." I let her out of the hug so Dixie could give her one. "I love you! It's a long drive, be safe and call me when you get there." "I will. Bye guys." "Bye." "Bye." I watched her back out and leave, waving as she went. "I'm gonna head over to my house and get changed. I'll see you at the bar, okay?" Dixie nodded and I got in my truck to go to my house.

I pulled up the driveway of my house, taking notice to the black dodge sitting in front of the house. The familiar stickers on the back windshield caught my eye. It couldn't have been. I parked my truck, quickly jumping out. I quite literally ran to the front door, where I was met with Riley standing on the front porch. I jumped into his arms, holding onto him tightly, tears falling. "I missed you so much." I whispered holding his head in my hands after he set me down. I kissed him for the first time in two years. After he pulled away, he grabbed my hands away from his face and held them in his. "Your hair is short." He told me taking notice to my once long hair that was cut to my shoulders. "Do you like it?" "I love it." "I love you." "I love you too." He said smiling, while still holding my hands. "I saw you got a dog." "I was lonely." "Well, you don't have to be lonely anymore, I'm here now." He got down on one knee, and the tears that were in my eyes fell faster. "And I'm here forever, if you'll let me be. Brynlee, I can't even begin to explain how much I've missed you these past two years. I don't want to lose you Brynlee. Ever, I can't." He pulled a blue velvet ring box out of his pocket. "I know a long-distance relationship was hard on us, but not once did I stop loving you, so Brynlee will you make me the luckiest man alive, and marry me?" I didn't even have to think about the answer, maybe it was adrenaline, maybe it really was love, I didn't know in that very moment, but I knew what my answer was. "Yes! Of course, I'll marry you!" He wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me into a kiss. "We gotta go to the bar, tell my aunt and uncle, and Reese, I just wanna get changed." He went to walk inside, but I grabbed his arm.

"Wait I should probably tell you the good and bad news before we go." "What is it?" "Well, which one do you want first? The good or the bad?" "Good." He answered sitting down on the rocking chair next to me. "Brooke and Blake had twins instead of one baby, I wanted to tell you in the letters but I felt like it would mean more in person. They're both girls, Savannah and Lainey." He smiled when I showed him a picture Brooke had sent me. His smile faded, as he remembered I had bad news as well. "The bad news?" "Brooke has stage 3 breast cancer." "What? Is she okay?" "As of right now yes, she has been getting treatment, but Riley she's been battling it for 6 months." He nodded. "I just wanna see her." "Come on, seeing you will put her in good spirits." After Riley got changed into jeans and a t-shirt, we drove to the bar. I could tell he was upset and I didn't blame him.

We walked into the bar, and not many people noticed. We walked up to the bar and sat down next to Reese. When she looked to her left, she saw Riley. "Oh my God! Riley?" She threw her hands around her brother. I smiled. "What do you mean Riley?" Brooke asked, not paying attention. I saw the look in Riley's eyes when he looked up at his aunt, a head scarf on her head. He looked sad, hurt even. "Well, I'll be damned." She came out from behind the bar and engulfed him in a huge hug. "I missed you honey." She wiped the tears from her face. Reese stood up on the bar "Riley Bennett is back in town!" She yelled, making the crowd erupt into cheers. "Welcome back Ry."

A couple hours later, after last call it was just me, Riley, and Reese still at the bar with Brooke and Blake. "So, me and Brynlee have something to tell you." Everyone looked at us with expectant eyes. I held my hand up to show the diamond. "Were engaged!" "Oh my God!" "Congrats!" "Welcome to the family Bry."