Chapter 17 {Thanksgiving}

1 Month Later; November 25th

Ahh Thanksgiving, the day where you get up early to make food all day, while the boys go outside and continue to work when they all know that they could do it another day. By the time my alarm went off and I actually got out of bed Riley was already gone, probably to finish the bar. I changed into a black sweater and bell bottoms, with a pair of cowboy boots.

I walked downstairs and Cody was sitting on the counter eating granola. "Where's Krew?" I asked. "He went with Charlotte to her parents." "Is Krew eating with us or with them?" "I'm pretty sure he's going with them." "Alright, then I need you to go up to the attic and get 7 of the thanksgiving placemats out of the holiday stuff." This month was busy so we really didn't have time to decorate for Thanksgiving. We had more important things to worry about like getting the cattle to market.

"I'm gonna go see if Riley is working today, can you run to the store and grab the stuff to make pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and apple pie?" I asked handing Cody 40 dollars.  "Brynlee, I can't drive without you or Krew." "Cody, nobody in this town cares. If you see your driving instructor don't make eye contact." "Great advice." "Just go." She walked out to my truck and I walked out to the fourwheeler. The four day old snow crunched underneath my boots.

When I got up to their land, of course Riley was working on the bar. I waited a couple minutes until he noticed me and stopped nailing in the siding. "What are you doing?" "Putting siding up on the bar." "Why, it's Thanksgiving. You don't have to finish it by Christmas, Riley." "Actually, yeah I do." "Why?" "Because I do, Brynlee." "Fine, dinner is at 4. Don't be late." I got back on the four wheeler to go back to my house. I got there right when Reese was getting out of her truck. "Hey, I was just gonna call you." "I saw you talking to my brother, and I wanted to beat you back." "Your an ass." "Maybe."

"Get over here, and help me." I pulled a 15 pound turkey out of the fridge. "Rock, paper, scissor shoot to see who has to dissect the turkey?" "Your on. Best 2 out of 3." I nodded. "Rock, paper, scissor shoot." I held my hand out in the form of scissors and Reese had her hand balled into a fist. "Alright, rock, paper, scissor, shoot." This time I had rock and Reese had scissors. "Last round. Rock, paper, scissor, shoot." I had paper and she had rock. "Hah! Have fun!" I handed her a pair of plastic gloves and I grabbed the bag of potatoes. "I'm gonna go cut the potatoes."

An hour later, I had two bags of potatoes cut, and Reese had the turkey stuffed. Brooke and Blake were bringing green bean casserole, and sweet potatoes. So now I needed to make all 3 pies, rolls, and cornbread. "She's still not answering." I told Reese referring to Cody. "Maybe, there's traffic." "At 10 in the morning?" I started mixing the cornbread so we could at least have that ready to put into the oven. "I'm here!" I looked over to the front door and Cody was walking through with bags in her hand. "Took you long enough." "I was searching up and down the aisles for everything we needed. All they had was frozen pecan pies and apple pies. Not the stuff to make them. But they did have the stuff to make pumpkin pie." "Okay, well put them into the oven they do take a long time to cook." She nodded. "And someone get the pregame on please."

Hours Later

Everyone was here, including Blake, Lilah, and Brooke. Now we were just waiting on Riley. I had a glass of wine in my hand, since 11 and my patience was running low. "Sorry I'm late." Riley walked through the door with jeans and a flannel shirt on. He sat next to me. "Can we say Grace now?" "Brooke why don't you say it?" We all closed our eyes and held each others hands, as Brooke started. "For this new morning with its light, For rest and shelter of the night, We thank thee, For health and food, for love and friends, For everything thy goodness sends, Loving God, all that we have comes from your goodness and the work of those who love us. Bless us and the food we share. Watch over those who care for us. Open our eyes to the needs of the poor during this time of harvest and thanksgiving. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen." "Amen."  We all repeated. "Let's eat before it gets cold."

After I did the dishes I went upstairs to take a shower before I went down to watch the game with everyone. I walked out of my bathroom in a towel and was scared half to death when I realized that Riley was sitting on my bed. "Jesus, Riley you scared the shit out of me." "Sorry, I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry for being late." "You already told me you were sorry." "I know, but I feel bad." As I got dressed I listened to what he was saying. "Yeah, but why were you late. What was the reason?" "I was working on the bar." "Why? You have the rest of your life to get it done what is the rush?" "I just want to get it done Bri." "Yeah, well you better not be late for Christmas dinner." "I won't." "If you are I won't give you any food. Keep that in mind." "You an ass." "And yet and you still love me."