Chapter Thirty seven

Chapter Thirty Seven

****

The house was beginning to suffocate me. Every where I turned, I was met with faux sympathisers who moved about creating messes, with feigned sullen expressions. How pathetic!

I sipped on my glass of water as I watched the workers scurry in and out of the kitchen to attend to the overly demanding guests. I held back a scoff when one woman audaciously made her way into the kitchen and not so politely asked for a snack for her teenage son who by the way, I wondered why he was present in the first placeI had never even met the woman in question before and trust me I had met lots of my parents' associates and I could still place their faces even without remembering their names. People are weird.

I groaned in displeasure. There was too many people swarming around like bees and I wasn't comfortable, not one bit. I just wanted the day to be done and over with, nothing would please me more.

"Lola?" Laila's voice rang in my ears as she called out my name. I looked up from where I was leaning on the kitchen counter and waved my hand in her direction.

"Right here." I said, giving her a questioning look, I hoped she wasn't calling because I had to greet some important guest again.

"Hey, what are you doing here? I've been looking all over for you." She said, walking over to me.

"I just needed a breather, there's so much people here." I breathed out, fiddling with a button on my shirt.

"Oh, I understand, it sure can be overwhelming sometimes." She nodded, seemingly understanding my plight.

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"Well, someone's here to see you." She eventually stated.

"Ugh." I threw my head back with a groan and heaved a sigh of exhaustion, she simply chuckled.

"Who is it this time?" I finally asked.

"It's David." She said with a knowing grin splayed on her lips. I bit back a smile, more like a blush.

"Oh." I tried my best to keep a blank stare. "Please tell him I'll be out in a bit, let me just finish my glass of water." I requested calmly as opposed to my insides which were giddy with excitement.

She shot me a sly grin before walking off.

"Sureeee." She drawled purposefully. She knew me so well, I laughed softly at the thought.

I gulped down the content of my glass in one swig, swiftly rinsed the glass and placed it back on the rack before walking out of the kitchen.

I saw Laila outside the kitchen, clinging on to her husband like her life depended on it, I fought the urge to sneer in irritation. The word, 'forgiveness', reiterated itself in my mind and I turned away from whatever negative thought brewing in my mind. I walked up to them briskly with the intention of asking for David's whereabouts.

"Hello Yemi." I saluted with a curt nod which he mimicked and said...

"Hello to you too, Lola." He stated dryly. I couldn't care less how he acted.

Awkward silence ensued as Laila looked between both of us.

"Tolani, where's David?" I asked.

"He's in the living room with everyone else." She answered and with another curt nod, I left for the living room, my eyes searching frantically for him.

I spotted him, bowing to greet my mum, I smiled at the sight.

Wait what?

Oh no, I scurried over to his side, sensing my mum's obvious confusion. She had never met him before and he was greeting her so fondly, her brows had to be raised.