Chapter One

Chapter One

"Lola!", I heard my mum shout from the kitchen, I hoped I wasn't gonna get in trouble acting a little cranky lately, I guessed she had been fighting with Daddy again.

"Lola!" I heard my name again. I knew I was in for it this time so I rolled my eyes and got out of bed. I made my way down the stairs and trudged into the kitchen after a hurried bathroom session.

"Yes mummy, I'm here." I answered calmly.

"Madam good morning o." She greeted with a very sarcastic tone. Typical of her to use such when I did not salute her properly.

Oh... I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Lola Gregg, I'm Nigerian, Yoruba to be precise and as it is in a typical African home, respect to elders is very important, we'll talk about my family later, let's get on with the issue at hand(sigh...)

"Mummy I'm so sorry." I apologised quickly and went on to do the needful

"Good morning ma."She softened up a little and replied.

"Clean up the kitchen please, it's messed up." She ordered.

"You slept in, I didn't want to disturb you , so I cooked but next time you'll do the cooking."

"Yes mummy, I'm sorry." I pouted and gave her a hug, she smiled. My mum throws a lot of tantrums, I know, but she's still a very kind and sweet person and I love her a whole lot.

I cleaned up the kitchen and went on to have breakfast with mum and dad. "Good morning daddy." I greeted.

"Morning. " He responded, "How was your night? " He asked.

"It was okay, daddy" I replied and we went on to have breakfast,chipping in short conversations. I cleared the plates right after.

Both my parents left for their respective work places and I was left alone to think about plans for my future.

As you know, I'm Lola, I'm 24 years old, just graduated from a prestigious private university with a second class upper in business administration.

My father Benson Ademola Gregg,CEO of a large firm, a very hard working man,a workaholic,to say the least.

My mum, Felicia Gregg, a top official in a prestigious oil firm, she also owns chains of businesses.

Of course,I have three siblings, my eldest brother Travis, the first born,based in Canada with his wife and kids. The other one Grey, a playboy, based in Abuja, runs his own business.

And my only sister who's just about two years older, Laila, she's away on a trip to Dubai, I hope she comes back soon, I'm bored whenever she isn't around. Being the "baby of the house", as they fondly call me is really frustrating, I have to live up to my parents' and siblings' expectations.

The normal cycle in my home was; Go to school, study the course of our parents' choice and get a job in a firm in relation to your course of study. My parents were very influential so it wasn't much of a big deal getting jobs for my siblings. But I wanted something more than just sitting behind a desk all day, I wanted to do something I loved but my parents won't let me.

  I'm not the outgoing type, you could say I'm an introvert, not exactly though.

I called up my best friend Tana, we've been friends since childhood, I'm lucky to have her. She's been here for me, through both good and bad times, we fight sometimes duh who doesn't? But I love her all the same, she's a psycho,don't tell her I said that.

"Hey, baby girl." She chirped in her usual manner. She picked up so quickly, see why I love her!

"Hey... " I said with a sigh, I was feeling blue again.

"What's up with you? You are thinking again, aren't you? " She gushed over the phone before I could say a word.

"Girl...just put yourself together, you'll get through this"

"I'm coming over and we're going out, I don't want you pulling a sad face around with me, okay? " Tana spoke up again.

"Yes ma'am, you won't even let me say a word." I sighed, feeling relieved already.

Tana is simply the best!

"Keep quiet and wait for me Sisi,see ya in a bit" She shushed, making me laughing before hanging up.

  Twenty minutes later, she was at my house, forcing me to dress up and head out with her, despite my pleas.

What do I do with this girl?!