Chapter Four

Chapter Four

    "Daddy" I called calmly. It was the weekend already, and I had to tell him my decision. He looked up from his laptop. I was sitting in front of him in the study, more like his home office.

  "Lola, what is it?" He asked coldly.
I gulped, closed my eyes for a millisecond and answered.
"Daddy, I... came to tell you about ...my decision, concerning...the job offer" I stuttered. He gave me a stern look then concentrated on his laptop again, as if to tell me to continue with what I was saying.

"I'll take it" I finally said after much reluctance, I wondered why I was so terrified of him, he's my father for goodness sake!
   Dad had a way of making us fear him, even mum wasn't left out. There were times she tried to resist his daunting stance on matters, but she had never pulled it off successfully. Although mummy tried to act like she wasn't afraid of him, we all knew she was.

One small mistake and she would be his punching bag, he would give her the cold shoulder for weeks and because she didn't want to leave the marriage, she would endure for us, her children.

It was hard for us kids, to watch our parents fight all the time, I used to wonder what would happen if mum had divorced dad, would it have been better?

Mum was very successful herself and she could take care of my siblings and I , but she kept enduring everything. I believed she truly loved dad and she hoped everything would change.
Okay back to the present...

"Took you long enough" Dad muttered, loud enough for me to hear.
He looked up at me so swiftly that I nearly flinched but regained my composure immediately, avoiding his piercing stares. He finally spoke up.

"You're starting on Monday" He said with an air of finality. Notifying me of the fact that this unpleasant conversation was over.

"Yes sir" I said standing up and walking out of the office, I closed the door behind me, heaving a sigh, and I'm certain it was not of relief, I was worried sick, I had to do something about this.
   Maybe you should go with Tana's plan

My subconscious spoke, but heck it was right, I needed to find a way to get out of this job, at least the one Mr Wole was offering, that man was no good and I kept wondering why Dad decided to go to him for help despite all his scandals.

  I walked to my room, I was about tucking myself in, when my phone rang. It's 10pm, who could be calling?

Of course, it was that crazy BFF of mine, "Tana Davis!" I half yelled, how could this girl be calling by this time, we weren't even chatting online.
I face palmed myself inwardly.
This girl is gonna drive me crazy

"Why are you calling?" I said

"Chill jor, I hadn't heard from you all day and I decided to call"

"You just forget me for one side" She blabbered over this phone.
This okoro will will not kick my bucket for me, Never!

   "Hmm, so that's why you decided to call?" I asked dryly, knowing fully well that she called for something else.
Aproko no go kill this one 

"Uh huh, can't I call my friend again?" She sounded so innocent, I giggled.

"Talk true jor, you want to know how it went down between my dad and I, abi?" I smirked, I'd caught her already

"Well... " She drawled, and I threw my head back trying to hold in my laughter.

"Okay I admit it,Lola tell me what happened na, don't finish my call credit" She spluttered over the phone.
I couldn't hold it anymore, I laughed out loud, probably stunning her on the other end. After my bout of laughter I answered.

"Tatafo, you know that I know you, you want the gist? No wahala".

She laughed on the other end, she knew that she was busted. I went on to tell her everything, including my thoughts to sabotage the job. She was in full support, all the way. I was thankful that I had such a supportive friend.

  Although I was nervous about everything, I didn't let it get to me, I was going to take it one day at a time.