Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"Laila." I called."How have you been?"
I asked as soon as we sat in my bedroom.

"I've been okay little sis, how have you been coping with mum and dad?"
She said as I rolled my eyes at the question.

"You know them na, their own wahala never gets old." Laila laughed again, while offloading her suitcase, as expected, she bought lots of stuff.
My sister is the other major "shopaholic" I know.

We were just catching up, when one of the workers came in, to inform us of our parents' arrival.

It's funny that they came in together, they haven't done that in a while.
I know my family looks cute and all from the outside but only us know that our home is not a peaceful place.

That explains why my siblings prefer to live far away from home, and honestly I prefer the same, but my parents wanted me to get a job before moving out or should I say, get the job for me.

Worsening the case, is the fact that I'm the last child,that's so annoying.

"Okay madam, let's go downstairs, I'm starving." Laila groaned and I laughed. I mean who wouldn't be starving, after such a trip?

"Oya let's go aunty, before you swallow me." I said jokingly as she yawned.

"I will beat this girl oh" She said to no one in particular, turning around like she wanted to get something to hit me, she could only get a pillow which she threw at my face, I was out the door before it could reach me, as she shouted after me.

"Don't come inside this room again!"

"I love you more sis." I said laughing, only to bump into my dad in the middle of the hallway. I gulped.

"Daddy! Good evening sir" I half yelled trying to alert Laila that Dad was coming towards her.

He looked stern as always, he adjusted his glasses, took a quick glance at me and replied

"Titilola, how are you? " He always calls my full name whenever he's in a very good mood or vice versa. I guess he's in a good mood today, besides he came in with my mum.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts, my dadcalled out again
"Lola?"I was a little bit startled, then I answered.

"Dad I'm fine, thank you."

"Where's your sister? I heard she arrived earlier today." He asked, as if on cue Laila came out of her bedroom,went on her knees and greeted our dad.

"How are you my dear?" He asked as he pulled her up and engulfed her in a hug. She replied sweetly after giving me a 'what's up with dad?' look.

Our dad was everything but he wasn't really the very affectionate type. Whenever he's like this, there has to be a major reason. Probably a new contract or business deal. It had to be something really big.

We went downstairs where we greeted mummy, and I served dinner. She was smiling too and not engrossed In her phone. Now there has to be something going on. She was talking with Laila and stealing glances at me after dinner.

Dad suddenly cleared his throat and we all turned our attention to him.

"Lola, we have news for you" My breath hitched immediately. It had to be about the job.

"We contacted Mr Wole concerning you, and he's decided to give you a good job at his company." Dad announced looking genuinely excited. Even mum was excited about it. I stood with a blank expression on my face. Laila gave me a knowing look, she wanted me to voice out my thoughts. I had never been the outspoken type but this was my only chance. I opened my mouth to speak and the only thing I could blurt out was...

"I need to think about it." I shut my eyes briefly as if  the statement had hurt me.

"Think?!" Mum scoffed. "Lola this is a major job opportunity, one of the most productive firms in the country, you would be in the financial department, this job is what people would kill to have,you're having it on a platter of gold and you need to think about it?" Mum spat, she looked so irritated with me.