Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Mia Luther," my instructor's cold, deep voice called out. I was one of the last to take the test. I saw two of my classmates fail. They would begin the last two years of Protector's training over again. Four passed and were taken to have their fingerprints and DNA collected, then they'd get their official uniform, assignment, security passes, and weapons.

I looked to Grant, the closest friend I made during the years of training we endured together. He gazed back at me, his handsome face stoic. Finally, a little smirk cracked his face and he nodded.

"Ready," I said, stepping onto the platform where my opponent waited for me.

As I stood in the center of the platform I took in my opponent. Liam Gray, one of the toughest, dirtiest, and most malicious Protectors. He was a member of our elite military squad and visits for finals specifically to make candidates loose and make others miserable.

"Liam," I stated, flatly.

"Mia, Mia, Mia," Liam said, his voice sounding like the entitled asshole he was, "I have to say, it is going to be a great pleasure to fight you. I've been wanting to feel you against me since I met you."

I growled, taking my stance. As soon as my instructor told us to start, Liam charged at me, aiming right for my mid section. I easily stepped aside. Liam was a remarkable warrior, but so was I, plus, I was smart, a skill Liam lacked. He continued to charge me and I stepped aside. Finally he let out a growl and reached for me. I twisted from him and struck him in the face causing him to take a few steps back. While he was distracted I got in a few more punches. I was beginning to feel confident when he grasped me, his whole arms circling my body and squeezing me to him, my feet lifted off the floor.

"You feel even better than I imagined," he hissed into my ear.

I wriggled and twisted until my back was against his front. He made another crass comment just as I slammed my head back into his nose. He dropped me with a yelp and I turned quickly. His nose was gushing blood and his eyes filled with hate. I started to hear cheering from my class. So far I made it farther than others he fought.

"Do I still feel good, Liam?" I sneered as our eyes locked.

"I'm going to kill you, bitch!" he screamed, charging at me. He did exactly what I had hoped. He raced towards me. I stayed put and stepped aside, just in time to grab his arm and throw him to the ground. I ripped his arm behind his back, shoved his face into the floor, and knelt on top of him, digging my knee into his back, just above his kidneys.

I heard my classmates and spectators begin counting to 10 and roaring with cheer as I shoved his face into the mat one last time and stood up.

"Congratulations, Mia, you've passed."

I saw Jonah in the corner, his face filled with pride, "Thank you," I said.

"Now come with me, Mia, it's time to get your assignment."

I practically ran to him and was right on his heels as we walked to the Member's Room, a room I couldn't go into as a candidate, but would now be where I go for everything.

We entered a large room where three of the four walls were entirely windows. I stepped forward from the door, an entire view of the compound's grounds surrounding me. Men and some women were sitting at different computers scattered around the room. One was watching the feedback of a drone and I could see our elite squad mid-mission. Another screen showed a bunch of numbers that I didn't understand, but the woman in front of the computer was typing away furiously. There was so much going on that I could barely focus as I was led to the computer in the front corner.

"Name," a grumpy looking woman with a shaved head hissed as I approached.

"Mia Luther," I said quickly.

"Ah, Mia Luther, here we go," she said, typing my name into her computer. My picture popped up along with a list of information about me, "Give me your hands," she said, grabbing my arm and shoving my fingers, one at a time, onto the scanner. Next she held out a jar, "Spit."

I did as I was told and she poured my saliva into a small hole next to the keyboard of her computer. My DNA markers immediately popped up on the computer. Next she dragged me in front of the white backdrop and snapped a photo.

"Here's your uniforms, guns, and new badge," she said, handing me a large black bag with my name embroidered on it and a case containing official Protector's handguns.

"Ma'am, my placement?" I said when she didn't speak to me for a while.

"It's coming," she said, sitting back. We sat in silence for a moment and then she sat up, "Oh! Well, Mia looks like you'll be assigned to the palace, congratulations. That placement's only for the best."

"That has to be a mistake. I was under the impression I would be assigned to the military," I said as calmly as I could.

"It's not a mistake," the woman said, bluntly, "It says here, you'll be assigned to one of the members of the royal family. It says..."

I froze, thinking of which one I could be assigned too. The King had a legion of Protectors, but both Prince's needed one.

Prince Marcus was the spitting image of his father, in looks and personality. The thought of being his Protector made my blood boil, he was cruel and twisted. He'd been known to take advantage of women. He had a female protector once that he tried to force himself on, but she fought back. She was later executed for treason. Prince Jackson, on the other hand, reminded the people of another King Michael. He had his mother's looks and presented himself in a humble, noble, and kind manner to all his people. It was a shame he was not first in line.

"Prince..." I held my breath, "Jackson," I breathed out deeply. If I had to work in the palace, at least I had a decent noble to protect.

"Thank you," I said, collecting my new uniform and weapons. I walked back to my sleeping quarters and found Jonah waiting for me.

"Am I looking at the newest addition to..."

"The palace," I stated, handing him my order slip, "I'll be Protecting Prince Jackson."

"They want the best for this placement," he said quietly. Then, even quieter, "It could have been Marcus."

"I know," I said just as quietly.

"I'm sorry, Mia. I've let you down," he said, walking to me and taking me hands, holding them between his own in a paternal, earnest act. Jonah had always treated me like his child, but as Protectors we were trained not to display emotions. Jonah showed me how much he cared in the way he talked about my parents, taught me to keep my own soul while the Protectors tried to train it out of me, and how he tried to get me a military job, but this was the first physical display of a fatherly affection.

"You have never let me down," I said, squeezing his hands, "You saved me and raised me."

"After I took your family," he whispered, pulling away.

My chest hurt, seeing the pain in his face. I couldn't argue with him. In a way he was a factor in taking them, but he didn't pull the trigger and he had no choice.

"At least this way I'll finally have a real bed," I smirked, "If I wound up in the military I'd get a smaller one. Plus I'll see you more! The Protectors in the compound come to the palace regularly for check-ins and updates."

Jonah smiled and nodded. He took my new duffle bag and filled it with the few measly items in my trunk. My whole life fit into that single duffle.

"Luther," a deep voice called, "Get your belongings and go to the truck, they're leaving for the palace now."

I looked at Jonah and smiled, "Until I see you again."

Jonah smiled and responded, "Not if I see you first."

I walked away from the place that created me. It took my family and then created me into a Protector. I had no idea what awaited me, but I was ready for a change.