Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

The room suddenly began to spin and I felt hot. I knew Jax was as shocked as I was before I even turned to see his face, which was pale. He looked as though he may vomit as he looked towards the crowd and saw Lana sashay her way up in a deep burgundy dress accented with delicate gold designs. She was wearing the colors of the King's house, the House of Thorn.

"Aren't you pleased, son? Is this not what you desire?" the King asked mockingly, assuming his son would not challenge him in public.

"Father," Jax hissed, tearing his eyes from Lana to me. His gray eyes were the darkest and stormiest I'd ever seen of him in the months I'd known him. After a moment he glared at his father, "As you know Lady Lana is a wonderful and gracious woman, but you must have mistaken a rekindling of friendship for something more."

"Oh, my darling Prince," Lana said, musically, wrapping her arm around Jax's, "No need to be coy, our fathers have approved our union."

Jax glared at Lana, whispering, "As I told you the other night, I am not interested in pursuing a romantic relationship again, Lana."

"Jax, you used to want this," she whispered back, keeping her beauty queen smile on her face, "I can make you happy."

"I realized I will never truly love you, and I need more than that. Plus, how could I be with someone who is conspiring with my father?" Jax hissed quietly, stepping away from Lana and towards me.

Jax took a deep breath and turned to the crowd, "Ladies and gentlemen, it appears my father was too eager at the potential to marry off his son and gain a daughter-in-law!" Jax said, causing the room to laugh, "Perhaps he will turn his attention to his eldest son and heir?"

Marcus looked furious and his face reddened as the King narrowed his cruel eyes on Jax. The events clearly had not gone as the men planned. I imagined they wished to send him off with their own little spy and tuck him away from the people of the kingdom who adored him.

"Jackson-" the King hissed, but was cut off by the distinct loud bang of a gunshot.

Jax and I immediately reached for each other. I pulled him slightly behind me and removed my gun from the garter, "Grant!" I called, scanning the area as nobles screamed, lock down alarms blared, and Protectors moved into position throughout the room.

"I don't have eyes on," Grant said. I knew he stood in front of Marcus in a secure spot. We moved closer, trying to assess the best route out of the ballroom.

"We need to clear the area and get them to the west wing," I said, scanning the area until I saw a flash of metal, "Take them now I see him!" I yelled taking off through the crowd.

"Mia!" Jax screamed as Grant subdued him with the assistance of the other Protectors who joined us in a protective circle around the royal family.

I ran quickly, jumping around nobles who were in panic. The heels didn't slow me down but they were beyond uncomfortable, I would have killed to have my boots back. I got closer to the man dressed in a tuxedo. When he saw how close I was, I saw the side of his face. He was in his 40's, at least, and in good shape. He had kind smile lines under his eyes, but his face looked as though he'd seen a lifetime of pain.

"Stop!" I called as I reached out and took his arm. Before I could stop someone slammed into me, wrapping his arms around my waist, and throwing the both of us to the floor.

"Run!" he called to the man who fired the gun.

I was lying under a strong body, both my arms pinned against my side, "You're going to regret this," I hissed as nobles ran past us.

"I really can't complain," the man said, looking down at me with bright blue eyes. He was likely in his thirties and was very strong.

I drew my head back while he was looking and me then thrust it forward breaking his nose. The man called out and fell to my side. I swung up on top of him and punched his handsome face to subdue him.

"Who are you?" I hissed.

The man smiled, even with blood dripping down his face from the broken nose, "I'm the resistance, Mia Luther."

"Excuse me?" I said, wrapping my hands around his throat, "How do you know me?"

Suddenly two pairs of hands pulled me back and threw me to the floor. I felt ribs on my left side crack and I called out. I got up to charge the man who threw me. As I reached for him I heard a gunshot ring and I fell to the ground. I felt a crippling pain in my stomach. I gasped and put my hand to the wound.

The man stood over me, his handsome face the only thing in my view, "Sorry Mia, but it shouldn't kill you. My cohort over here made sure it was right in the gut so it'll take a while to bleed out. You'll get medical attention before that."

"How...how do you know me?" I gasped, trying to push into the wound to slow the bleeding.

"Your father started the resistance. The end of the House of Thorn is coming, the people won't stand for that monster any longer," he said, "You're not meant to protect this king, Luther, your family is meant to protect the people from tyranny."

I tried to call out as he walked away, wanting to know more, needing to more, but I couldn't get the words out. I was becoming weaker, I was unable to hold any pressure on my bullet wound anymore. I fought it, but eventually my hand fell to my side and the people running around me began to blur.

I always knew my life would likely end from a bullet, but never would I have thought I'd find someone I cared so much about. I was never scared of death, but now I was scared to lose Jax, to never tell him how much he meant to me, how much I loved him.

As I felt my body begin to weaken I heard my name being called. I thought I was hallucinating when I heard it. The Protectors would all be too busy to look for me, they were moving the royal family to the west wing and into their rooms for protection and the nobles had all gone.

"Mia!" I heard again.

I tried to turn my head, but couldn't manage. I could barely whisper, "Jax..." I was desperate enough to believe that my hallucination was Jax, just so I could see him again, even if I imagined it, before I died.

I closed my eyes and heard him call my name as I began to fade, "Mia, oh God, Mia! Open your eyes!"

I felt his hands grasp my shoulders, then I felt pressure on my bullet wound. My eyes snapped open from the pain and suddenly my vision was filled with Jax's stormy gray eyes.

"How?" I gasped, trying to lift my hand to his face, but couldn't, "Jax...why aren't you safe?"

"We'll talk about that later," he said, lifting me up and cradling me in his arms, "Right now I need to get you to the medical wing."

"Lock. Down." I gritted through my teeth as my cracked ribs pushed against his body.

"I'm a Prince of Arlington, I'll get us where we need to go," he said seriously, rushing towards the northern part of the palace where the medical wing was.

As we rushed through the palace, everything began to blur and I knew I needed to tell him, he needed to know how I felt, "Jax...Jax I-" and then the world went black.