Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

The day after the battle was a beautiful and bright day in Arlington. The streets were filled with genuinely happy people as flowers and decorations adorned the streets. It was time to announce the new leaders of the kingdom. So many had perished in the fight for freedom, but the new leaders would honor the fallen.

Richard stepped onto a podium outside of the palace where a large crowd had gathered. Behind him stood the truly loyal Protectors of Arlington, his family, and the other leaders of the rebellion. Those who were unable to get close to the castle could see through the large screen TVs displayed throughout the city.

"It is a beautiful morning to celebrate the independence of Arlington! Free of tyranny once again!" Richard called, receiving a loud cheer from the crowd. The man looked down at his notes before taking a deep breath, "It is now time to announce the new reign for a peaceful and free Arlington!"

"Armstrong! Luther!" the crowd began chanting. They wanted the Prince and the Protector. They were an inspiration to all, their love and their fight unparalleled.

Richard's eyes fell. Tears gleamed in his eyes as the sun shone down on him, "I know who you wished to lead, for I wished for the same two people to lead us into this new age," Richard paused and cleared his throat, "With a heavy heart I must share with you that despite our success on the battlefield, Prince Jackson Armstrong and the Protector, Mia Luther were killed securing our freedom."

The crowd became eerily silent as a cloud passed in front of the sun, reflecting the pain felt by the people. You could hear some faint cries from people who had helped the rebellion and grew to know the Prince and the Protector. They had the greatest of minds, most loving of souls, and most noble of hearts.

"I was chosen by Prince Jackson Armstrong and Mia Luther to lead, should they not survive. It is not a position I take happily. It is not a position I want. Mia was family to me. Watching such a beautiful and strong woman who I loved like my own child die in my arms will forever scar my heart. I fought by her father's side and hers in attempts for freedom; both Mia and her father will live on in all the decisions I make for this kingdom. My first act as King will be to mark this day as a Day of Remembrance for Prince Jackson Armstrong and Mia Luther. We will never forget them and their sacrifice, for without them we would never be free!"

With a mix of a cry and a cheer, the crowd erupted. They would never be forgotten and even in their deaths they helped to unite a kingdom long plagued by darkness and hate. Their souls would forever live in the people, together, as they would have ruled.