Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Jax and I stood silent atop the hill overlooking the field that would soon be soaked in the blood of many men and women. We took in the gathering of men and women who were willing and ready to fight alongside us for their freedom. It was a heavy feeling, being responsible for someone else's life. Not all the people who walked onto the battlefield would walk off, but I was willing and ready to fight like hell to protect as many as I could.

Jonah and Richard came over to us. I felt Jonah's hand rest on my shoulder in a comforting and loving gesture.

"I think you should address the troops before we go," Jax said, looking at the group as it finished gathering.

"They came to follow you," I said, confused, "You're the soldier and their prince."

"Jax is a prince, but they connect with you," Richard said, "When they saw you threaten Prince Marcus those months ago. Frankly you were the spark that ignited all their hope and made it spread like a wildfire. You will set their spirits on fire, my dear. Just like your mother, Gemma, would. It was her gift as well.

"I don't know what to say..." I said, starting out at the crowd.

"You will," Jax said, smiling as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, "You'll find the right words."

I watched as the King's army gathered. A piece of my heart broke when I recognized some faces from my past, faces I may have to kill. Despite my sadness, I realized that even if they weren't the ones ordering the killings, they were the ones carrying out the order and passively following orders. They did nothing, which made them as guilty as the King. I turned back to the army of people before me, ready to lay down their lives.

"I know this isn't easy," I called as loud as I could, hoping my voice would reach our troops in the woods, "We are a kingdom in civil war, brother against brother, sister against sister, parent against child, yet here you are! The bravest men and women in this land, ready to fight for your freedom and for your future; courage not found since Michael the Great led an army not unlike this one against corruption and darkness!" the crowd cheered. Once it quieted I continued, "You are here because you are warriors, the bravest I know, ready to do what you must! As you get ready to fight, I want you to think about what you're fighting for. I will not ask you to fight for me, fight for the Prince, or even fight for yourselves! I want you to fight for those who aren't here to fight! Fight for your children so they may have a better future! Fight for those who've been murdered by a vicious and cowardly man! Today, we will take back what is rightfully ours! For Arlington!"

The army erupted in cheers and I heard Jonah whisper, "That's my girl."

Our army continued to cheer as the King's army lined up somberly. I knew the King and Marcus would never try to motivate their troops. They expected blind obedience.

Jax moved from beside me, stepping forward and yelled, "I'm calling to your decency, Marcus. Fight me. One on one and we can save countless lives being lost. Winner takes all."

My back stiffened, imagining myself having to watch Jax fight his brother and knowing I couldn't help.

"You are no hero, brother! I will see you in battle!" Marcus screeched.

Jax took a deep breath and stepped back, "I tried," he whispered.

"He knows he can't win, Jax," I said, back touching his arm lightly, "He's a coward."

Marcus gave his order of attack, then turned back to let his men take the brunt of the collision as he hid behind them. As the soldiers rushed forward, our men and women hiding in the woods began firing at men rushing towards us, hidden in the brush so the soldiers didn't see the gunfire coming. The first few lines of men fell and I used the moment to turn to Jax. I took his face in my hands and looked at him in a way that I hoped conveyed everything I was feeling. Telling him I loved him didn't feel enough. Jax rested his forehead against mine. We heard another round of gunfire and separated.