Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I rushed from the ballroom to the servant's hallway, which led to the kitchen. The room was bustling and I needed air. I ran out into the gardens where Gloria grew her own fresh vegetables and fruit. The night was dark, but the soft glow of the kitchen lit up a small area where I leaned against the cold stonewall and took a breath. The King was cruel, but to send his son to the Banks was something only the most twisted person would do. A true king would have pulled his troops back years ago instead of letting thousands die in such horrifying ways. Those that didn't die were so often traumatized they wished they did.

"Mia Luther," a deep voice said in the darkness next to me.

I threw aside the slit in my skirt and pulled my gun from my thigh holster, "Who are you?"

The man stepped into the dim light. I recognized his blue eyes and strong face from the last ball.

"I'm not here to hurt you, I'm sorry about last time. I'm glad to see you're doing well," he said, casually leaning against the wall as I took a step back, keeping my gun focused on him.

"You're the resistance, right? What do you have against balls?"

The man smirked, "You're just like your dad, you know that? He helped start my training when I was just a boy. Your father trained me until he died. I was about your age when the King ordered his death. It devastated us, but also strengthened our resolve to take down a vicious and cruel tyrant."

I faltered and dropped my gun to my side, "You knew him?" I whispered. I'd always done my best to remember him, but it was usually just quick memories, like his smile, his laugh...the look on his face as he died.

"You lost him too young, Mia. He gave me this, a few weeks before he died. He knew something would happen to him and he knew a time would come where you would need to trust us," he whispered, reaching into his pocket. I lifted my gun back up, "Easy, girl."

He pulled his hand out of his pocket slowly. He opened his hand to me, inside was a silver ring with the crest of the House of Luther on it. It had been so long since I'd seen my house crest. When the King had my family killed all signs of my crest had been destroyed. The crest was simple, but beautiful. The colors were sapphire and silver with a wolf rearing for a fight and a dove swooping in from above. My father always told me it was the description of our house and what we are born to do; be loyal, fierce, and ready for a fight, but ultimately peace is the goal.

I stared at the ring and saw it was attached to a thin silver chain. Suddenly tears welled in my eyes. I holstered my gun and reached out, taking the ring. As soon as my fingers touched the smooth metal I remembered sitting with my father in the library as he held the ring on the necklace telling me the stories of how the ring was passed down from our ancestor, Leon Luther. The ring was something my father would never give up unless he trusted the man who he passed it to.

"What do you want?" I whispered, sliding the large ring over my fingers, trying to remember the feel of my father's hands, as if the ring itself could remember.

"We want you to join us. Our kingdom has dealt with this ruthless, monster of a king for far too long. He cares about no one but himself and power. People are dying everyday because he either feels like taking their lands and the easiest way is to kill them or he's taxed them so much they can't afford to eat. These are meant to be his people! His job is to protect the people of his kingdom, not kill us," he said passionately.

"You've been killing Protectors and attempting to kill the royal family, how does that make you any better?"

The man sighed and looked down, "We aren't claiming to be perfect, Mia, but we are trying to end this man's reign with as little casualties as possible, we figure it's easier to try and cut the head off the beast directly."

"Well you suck at it," I said.

"So you'll join us?" he smiled.

"I never said that," I said, crossing my arms, "I can't," I whispered, thinking of Jax.

"Come meet with us tomorrow in the woods about two miles north of the city. You'll see a small waterfall, cross it until you reach a clearing. Meet us just before midnight, see who we are and if you think we're worth your trust. If you don't show we'll consider it a no, but we won't stop our mission."

"I understand," I said as he leaned up and began to walk away, "What's your name?"

He turned back and smiled, "Axl. I trust you to keep that to yourself."

I was silent as he walked away, grasping my family's ring like a lifeline to my past.