Chapter 22

A constant vibration underneath her made Bree's eyelids forcefully open. Blurry images of flying arrows floated in front of her eyes and she blinked them away. She stared up at the clouds, trying to recollect whatever happened previously but her memory seemed shaky.

She groaned and shifted realizing she was lying on something soft. It was hairy and smelled like wet soil and granite. Tiny vibrations passed through it like a faint pulse. Bree turned and came face to face with two blue orbs.

At first, it felt like she was staring at a person eyes but then she remembered that it wasn't a person's eyes. Beasley stared at her intently like he had been afraid that she would not wake up at all. She looked down and realized she laid with her back on his outstretched arm. He laid down on his side like a mountain of brown hair making Bree fear that he would tip over at any minute.

She recalled hearing his angry roar or his grrf rather. He had saved her from Jim.

She wanted to speak but she knew that the minute she did, he would shut his eyes.

"Beasley!" She said. Immediately, he arose, shutting his eyes as Bree had expected and lifted her gently to a sitting position.

"Thank you for saving my life." She said. Beasley hummed in response.

Her body still ached from pain but it was only a dull feeling. She wasn't sure if her wounds had already healed. Her coat was gone. Her black top was torn in places where the arrows had pierced and her jeans had been ripped up to her knees. Pieces of it were tied across injuries on her bare legs.

Beasley stood up and stretched himself, startling Bree. She moved back and almost toppled off.

"Watch it!" Beasley growled and grabbed her just in time. Bree looked around and realized they were atop a snowy mountain. If she had woken up to this sight, she would've thought she'd died and went to heaven.

The forest looked totally different. She realized she wasn't in the forest she knew. Trees spread out in a tight cluster underneath them. Snow spread out around the cliff like whipped cream dripping down a chocolate cake. There was a huge lake below. It was right in the middle of the giant crowd of mountains. It reflected the sky, the snowy mountains, the forest and the tall spiky trees Bree could somehow see even from the distance giving the water a mix of colors like a huge painting.

The sun blared in its glory all around them making the atmosphere so serene that Bree felt the urge to cry. Far off, she spotted a lake house. She couldn't pinpoint details but from where she stood, it was all wood and smoke came out the back. People went in and out of it but they looked like dots.

After a long while of taking in the beauty around her, Bree finally found her voice.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"Alps." Beasley replied sitting down casually.

Bree turned to him in shock. "We're in Europe? How did we get here?"

"We took the plane." Beasley replied and Bree almost laughed. He was bitterly sarcastic.

"Aren't you worried someone might. . . spot you?" She asked.

"From down there, they'll think i'm a bear." He answered distastefully.

Bree gulped. "Are. . . are you a bear?"

He turned and began to walk away. "No."

Bree hurriedly followed him. He led her down the mountain which was a long long long way down until they came to a part of the forest. It was blessed with flowers and butterflies and vegetation that seemed to glow. Trees loomed overhead like giant statues, leaves held dew drops like they were souvenir tears. Insects buzzed around noisily making Bree swing her hands above her endlessly to shoo them away.