Chapter 39

Bree's breath caught when she stepped into the throne room. It was filled to the brim. It was as if some magic had dragged everyone out of their hiding place. The room was bursting with color, laughter and dance. A bunch of kids in tailcoats ran around chasing a beagle that kept on going under the skirts of some ladies earning a small yelp from them. The castle looked brand new as if someone had blown the dust off it and washed it repeatedly. The smell of food and chocolate washed the air strongly making Bree's stomach rumble. She realized she hadn't eat anything filling ever since she arrived. Her excitement had gotten the best of her, whisking away hunger without her noticing.

She spotted the King seated in his throne, in his royal attire which was promptly hidden by a flowing red robe. His golden crown rested on his hair in a regal but relaxed manner. His attention moved from one end of the room to another indicating he enjoyed the scenery in front of him.

Bree found herself staring for too long. He looks so different yet so familiar. She thought.

Belle moved from behind her and went over to sit next to Adam on a throne just as large as his but slimmer to indicate it was for a lady. Belle's dress matched the King's robes but her crown was silver and not gold. Bree blinked when she saw that Belle was wearing a modern cocktail dress. How had she missed that?

She inadvertently looked at Antoinette who was still wearing her blue plume dress but it was more old fashioned. Her own dress was yellow with needlework designs across the sleeves, hem and bodice. For the first time ever, she wore heels but they weren't as uncomfortable as she'd imagined. They were comfy pumps with actual silver studs on each heel base.

Antoinette led her to King Adam who immediately smiled when he saw her. Bree felt bugs running around her scalp. The king was deathly handsome.

"A most joyous evening." He said stretching an open hand toward her. Bree was dumbstruck. She didn't know what to do. Kiss it or shake it? Low five? No five?

But the King took her hand and gently kissed the back of it. Oh, so that's why!

"Good evening, your Highness!" She said bowing slightly and the tiara that she had no idea was on her head slipped off and hit the ground with an awkward CLINK!

Bree mouthed a small "oh".

Adam gave a deep chuckle and took Belle's hand as if they had just shared an inside joke.

"As clumsy as he himself. My grandson's crown also never stayed on his head." Belle said laughing slightly.

"I'll take her, mother." Antoinette said smiling.

"You do that!" Belle nodded.

"take me where?" Bree whispered but Antoinette was already leading her away from the party. Bree turned to her mother who quickly made a gentle shooing motion with her hands then waved goodbye.

Antoinette led Bree through a long hallway and past the kitchen where Bree felt the urge to run into and grab a plate. There was more food in the castle than there was in a five star restaurant. As they passed, every servant bowed or curtsied or stood at ease and Antoinette made sure to reply each one but Bree was hardly paying attention. A large bowl of salad on the far end of a vast table caught her attention. It was filled with lots of greens and freshly cooked shrimp the size of cellphones dripping with thick juicy sauce.

You can have salad with shrimp? Bree screamed internally. She'd heard it was a thing but had never really tried it.

Antoinette finally brought her to a quiet part of the castle where the music didn't seem to reach because here, a different music was playing. The Queen suddenly stopped halfway. Bree turned to her questioningly.