FIVE

a/n: I don't do math...

***

Tough luck

You should've known better than to leave your note behind

A cubical flushes beside her, jolting June out of her head and back into reality.

The note Christian left in her locker to read is unexpected, to say the least. His undying need to win is exactly the kind of person she envisions him to be. June admits he took her by surprise — it's clear he has the upper hand in that.

Nonetheless, what should've been the end of their written argument ends up making June retaliate just as quickly.

She tucks Christian's note — this time written in green ink — in her skirt pocket, and finishes cleaning herself up. She makes sure to pat her cheeks with cold water to reduce the redness blotching up, least if any of the girls question it. Though, the minute she walks outside into the sharp cold, she knows they'll think otherwise.

Heading back to the auditorium's shelter is where the girls sat, laughing about a joke she can't make out. Her grin widens the closer she gets to them. She loves her friends dearly.

Not many students are outside. June concludes it's for the best for some, and a challenge for others, particularly the ones on the football field, seemingly without a care in the world.

What will it take to get their attention on something else? For June personally, it doesn't take much at all: just random shadows, unsettling vibes, and the brink of the sky collapsing in on itself.

She has yet to experience such a phenomenon.

"What's the likely chance of skipping the last two periods and just hang in the library?" Phoebe asks once June comes back into view.

Kim shakes her head. "You're not missing math again. Go to class for once."

Phoebe lowers her head, copper hair falling like soft waves around her shoulders. "But I don't wanna!"

"It's not that bad," Maeve says, plopping her chin down against her knees. "It's actually fun when you know what's happening."

"Oh, Maeve." June pets her head. "That's because you're in the lowest level. They're going to make it easier to enjoy."

"You enjoy math."

"Because I know what they're talking about."

"And," Kim interjects, "she's in the highest level."

Phoebe rolls her eyes. "Again, someone please explain why I can't ditch?"

"Because you're already behind as it is."

"June!" Phoebe's hands reach over to hold hers. "Please come and ditch with me. I'll feel much better about the whole thing if you do it, too."

"And get caught in the process? No. Kim's right. You're really behind. Be thankful I did your algebra catch up."

Kim lowers her voice. "I don't think you're going to make it through the subject with that attitude, babe."

A whistle carries from the oval to the auditorium, making the girls turn to pay attention. Without most of the pupils out, June is able to figure out exactly what the whistling is about.

Her mouth drops. The girls beside her gasp.

Zachary stands in the middle of the oval without his shirt on, arms spread wide to take in the praise and admiration.