SIXTEEN

a/n: I adore how this story is coming together. I hope you all enjoy it!

***

Immediately, June is surrounded by the arms of her friends as she falls back on the couch. She doesn't understand why, her brain a thick fog, numbing her brain cells to a mute. Her friends' silence comforts the heavyweight inside her head. It is all she didn't know she needed until it happened.

Eventually, Maeve sighs. "There's a lot of things I've forgotten that have happened at school. Year ten formal wasn't one of them, but what Christian did to you... I'm sorry June, I can't imagine what you were going through."

Kim nods beside her. She feels Phoebe rub her back.

"I'd really appreciate it if we never mention what happened again," June says, trying to sound more put together after the events. "What's done is done. I'd like to just move on."

Maeve hummed. "Yeah, of course, we won't mention it again unless you do."

"In that case," Phoebe said, removing herself from the hug, "we should focus on getting Maeve ready for her date tonight."

"I agree," Kim said. "I think we need to change the mood up, and we only have a few hours before Ryan picks her up.

June looks at Maeve and lets a smile take over her face. "Did you bring your clothes?"

She can tell Maeve isn't ready to let this go—or feels guilty to shift the attention to her. She's a good friend, and she wears her heart on her sleeve. But not everything has to be about June. In this case, Maeve needs to get her head into gear if she still wants to go out with Ryan tonight.

"I have a few options in my bag, but I'm not sure which one looks better. Oh! And I left my shoes here from the party, so I'll be wearing those. Also," Maeve scoots off the couch and brings her hands up to her curly red hair, "Do you think I should straighten or leave it and put it up?" She takes a deep breath. "Okay. I'm officially freaking out."

June's cue. She stands up with a bright smile, hoping sincerity is showing despite the dumbness still coursing through. "Let's get your hair and makeup sorted, then we can worry about clothes after."

Phoebe takes her arm. "We have plenty of time to straighten your hair if you want. What do you think babe?"

"Let's straighten it! I think it'll look different but we want him to be surprised, then he can think about her all weekend before seeing her again at school."

June's smile doesn't leave her face as the girls help Maeve get ready. And though the feelings are genuine, she's holding on until she can go home.

***

June doesn't hear from Zachary until the next morning.

Are we still on for the study session today? — Zachary

A part of June wants to say he can stick it up his ass on behalf of his twin brother.

Yes. — June

Okay. —Zachary

As she gets ready, she wonders if he'll bring up what happened yesterday to light. She's not familiar with Zachary's way of thinking — only knowing the guy properly the last few weeks don't tell June much — but she's willing to find out. Though knowing as much as she does know leads her to believe that at one point in their study time, he'll bring it up. After all, he knows who "them" is.

June takes a train to the city before walking a short distance to the state library. She sanitizes upon entering before making her way to the public domain. The sound of her footsteps clicking after her pleases the nerves down into a tight bundle in her chest. She carries her school bag lightly, yet the sweat in her palms makes it feel heavier, and denser as if one lack of concentration will spiral her out of control.