SEVENTEEN

a/n: we're not above drama. That's all I will say. Hope you enjoy :)

...

Christian meets her eyes as they enter the school building Monday morning and June wants to throw up. There is no avoiding what they've done, especially since June disclosed that openly for witnesses to bear.

She's glad she won't have to deal with him or his empty notes again.

Homeroom is lively on a Monday morning as discussions for the year twelve formal come sky rocking through. June listens to Prue and Micky participate in the hype, her own feelings on the formal hidden from her exciting peers.

They finally announced the official theme minutes ago. The committee decided on an Astrology theme, sitting between high glam and costume. Of course, June finds it interesting, and a part of her sees the appeal. The other can't be bothered getting involved.

"I think I can re-work the dress a little more," Prue says, flicking through inspirations of astrology photos on her laptop. "Planet Venus, soft romance aesthetic. Maybe with a detachable train."

"Find me a suit to match like that," Micky says, pointing to the screen. "Pastels will make me stand out. I can deal with the spotlight."

Prue exhales. "You're a star in your own making. I doubt you need any more attention."

"It's not enough."

Only ten more minutes and June can leave the conversation behind.

Instead, her mind drifts to the weekend, where she spent most of her time at the state library with Zachary tutoring him. His math test is in the first period. She wonders if he's currently revising and if the two and a half days are enough to get him up to speed.

June had him sweating yesterday; she wasn't ruthless but she wasn't taking it easy on him, getting him to re-answer the questions he got wrong, and watching his eyes squint in concentration. He had a habit of thinning his lips when he was feeling frustrated or scratching his neck when he was confused.

Their friendship was forming faster than she anticipated. Besides her group, June doesn't have the time to make further friendships. She just wants the year to get over with so she can graduate. But she can't ignore the ease she feels when he's around.

She spots Kim through the large window by her locker. With minutes to spare before her food tech class with Miss Crawford, June leaves her homeroom peers and their intense formal discussion to her friend instead. She hasn't been on the group chat this weekend, too focused on Zachary to consider what's been said.

June passes the empty locker with the dusty bible before crouching next to Kim. It surprises her to see the worry on her friend's face. June becomes aware of her surroundings and her intuition. Something happened while she's been preoccupied.

"Hey," she whispers, hand on Kim's shoulder. "What happened? Why are you upset?"

Kim slides her gaze to June before mouthing her bottom lip. "You haven't checked your messages?"

"Sorry," is all June can say. "It's been a busy weekend."

Kim nods. "Yeah. I think it's been like that for everyone." Then, as if afraid someone will hear, leans in close and says, "He bailed on Maeve."

The blood in June's body drained, leaving her a cold shiver in its wake. Kim continues through her silence.

"He picked her up. We saw it. And then halfway through their movie, he dipped and never came back. We didn't find out until last night. She wasn't answering our messages."