3

"Why would you say that?" He'd raised his brow, teeth clucked between tongue he smoothed back oiled locks and in response, his confidence rose. "I didn't know you were those types." He spat out the word, and rolled it on his tongue. Disdain colouring his cheeks a ruddy red, blotchy it spread across his neck highlighting a double chin. "Always arguing about equality, about justice—"

He spun on his heels, turned to face her with a squint and the rise of a cocky brow.

"It's so fucking stupid for a company to hire a worker that will eventually require maternity leave." He snorted at his own words; air sang through his teeth followed by a cluck at the back of his throat. "It doesn't make sense in terms of productivity, the economic returns just," he shrugged, making a face, "does not make goddamn sense. Even if you don't intend to get pregnant." The gloat revealed itself, the sneer that followed was retch worthy. "But can you?"

"Excuse me?" she'd whispered.

"Can you even get pregnant?" he smiled, triumph in his eyes. "But that isn't the real problem, is it?" His lips twitched. "You don't even have a man." It was a stab to her guts, words that brought down her status as a female and her worth as one.

Her teeth snapped, and hatred reared its ugly head within her soul. But she calmed herself down and allowed her mind to form words before her heart could react so that she wouldn't burst apart. She was cool when she began to speak, fists clenched as she prayed for strength.

"What doesn't make sense is why you had to resort to this," she told him, as calmly as she could manage, "at the very least we could have been partners. I would have given you some of the credit, you know that—"

"You know why."

He loomed over her, approached her tall and heavy; close and controlling. His breath was hot and heavy as it fanned over her face, tart from the apples. Her heart pounded as his hands shook and his lips spread, eyes growing lidded as he prowled closer searching for more.

There was something in his stance that made them both know that if he continued arms would swing, bruises would form, and tears could flow. It was a towering pose that signified stereotypical danger. And he used it to his advantage, forcing her back against the wall when she didn't want him closer.

She flinched when her back stuttered against the glass, and he smiled. A winning leer that had her fighting for the last laugh. If she was going to lose today, at the very least she wanted some sense of victory. At the very least she wanted to wipe that smirk off his face.

"Because I said no to your advances?" She feigned strength with a smooth laugh. How childish could he be? How much more did he want to take from her? "You must be joking, you're married."

The last bit came out rushed and pinched; it was information that she'd only realised later at a dinner party. It was knowledge that made her hate him more.

He had a loving wife, his destined soulmate, and two children— little girls that he should cherish. He was an asshole that could cheat on the other half of his soul; a bastard that tried to get into her panties despite the ink of his soulmate's name on his shoulder. A soul mark that she wanted more than anything in the entire world.

Monster.

"Clearly..." His cheeks pinked; brows knotted in infuriated response. "We don't like each other." He tapped his finger on the wood, eyes sharpened into slits, lips curled into a smile despite the jab at his moral value. The realisation flooded her mind far too late.

She opened her mouth. "You can't be serious—"

"You're fired."

Fucking hell, that son of a bitch. "You have no right!"