54- End of Chapter 17

Zen

The Beta was crazy, and Zen knew that.

She was just a Beta, a woman trying to get under his skin. The Alpha that his pack needed to eat. A girl that resembled Euodia, and yet didn't the more he looked at her. It was difficult to describe the way his tormentor's features seemed to melt away, replaced by a new character.

And look he did, staring at black eyes and thick lashes, at red lips and skin that had lost their pallor of the dead and was now edged with gold. He stared at the way she smiled at the Alphas, white teeth with a small dimple on the cheek. The smile reached her eyes. Eyes that were touched with gold when the sun lit up her face, eyes that made something in his chest tremble.

Euodia never smiled like that. This was different.

A strange thirst swept across his tongue, a craving for something else. Something that would satisfy his fey, his vampire and his wolf. Something that she had. But he didn't know what. His canines throbbed, slid out, sharp and ready to sink into buttery soft flesh and pump her full of aphrodisiacs and relaxants. Zen swallowed thickly.

He squinted, perched on his branch. He wondered why he'd been so awfully impacted by her rejection; it'd been embarrassing for him. And he'd experienced it second-hand outside of those halls with his face in his hands. It had been unlike him to be this territorial. He'd blushed when Hyeon had called him out for it later with a sigh.

"She's your Alpha, isn't she? Haven't experienced mine," he'd said. Zen had apologised for his actions, but Hyeon had waved it off. "I'll do anything for my King," his best friend had winked. "You should tell her the truth, she'll act differently."

"She's rude," Zen had complained. "She talks back to me."

"Then tell her," Hyeon shrugged. "Or kill her now, whatever you want." That had Zen flinching because Hyeon didn't know that Zen simply could not kill her. For it was against every fibre of his being. It was like fighting against his own limb.

"I can't," he'd explained with a sigh. "I need her to want this for it to work. You know how it goes."

"As you wish," Hyeon sighed. "Most would enjoy having Kings for mates. Right now, she thinks you're just a soldier. It's not the same."

"It doesn't matter," Zen had answered. "She'll be intimidated by my status. I want her to like me first."

"She doesn't seem to really like you now," Hyeon had pointed out, and Zen had merely scowled. "Some enjoy riches and wealth. You could try that."

But Hyeon didn't know of her past, no one did. And Zen was sure she'd run screaming if she knew who he was. It was knowledge that came to him with surety, a violent tug in his chest. And so the mask remained, and he continued peering at her from afar, hidden as if he were a shy little Omega and not the King that he was.

Zen scowled. His mates had not been happy that he stayed out for so long. But he'd returned, with his skin flavoured with her scent and his cock hard with strange need. The juicy peach of her lingering on his scent glands, and had elicited a strange simpering from Helios. His mate rubbed his cheeks all over his skin as if he knew, and from Rowan, he'd received a hard, long knowing stare that Zen ignored carefully.

He'd been wetter than ever when he'd fucked Icarus that night, a little poutier and a million times hornier. His lover had chuckled, pressed thick fingers into the syrupy warmth of his hole and groaned.

"Something's got you charged up tonight," he'd mentioned, cock sliding in so deep his eyes had rolled back, moan spilling. It was easy to reach his peak when he was already there from just the smell of her flavouring the back of his throat. "And you smell extra good. I'd take a drink from you before I cum."