50

There was a moment of silence before Xin nodded, and pointed to the scratched mark on the wall, swords crossed and a sprig of flowering blooms. "That's the sign for hemlock." She put her hand down. "An Alpha will be assigned to each Omega pack. And that Alpha will cook. They will clean, and they work for the entire group. They will feed them with their bodies if need be."

"They don't have a supply of food?"

"No, us Alphas provide them with that. For the wolves, the vampires and the fey when they're sick of each other. They take it from us" Xin answered, peeling back the leather to reveal the bandages, the traces of a bite that was not fully healed. A vampire that didn't care. Just like Elysian. "If they like our blood, it gives us that leverage. It keeps us attached to a pack."

"You've got a pack?"

This had Xin growing tight-lipped, a low scowl on her face. "Not in that way, they don't trust us enough for that. Hyeon is the captain here. I am attached to his pack because I worked hard for it." Quinn blinked. "We are just tools and a good tool is used. But yes, I do lead the team of Alphas because I am directly under the captain. I report back to him because he is my Head Omega, and he is also yours. But do not think that just because you're attached to a pack, you'll be safe. I'd suggest you remember that fact unless you want to die."

Quinn nodded. "Understood. I have no intention to be mated."

Xin's hostility was strange, her words coloured with abuse. But she seemed proud of her battle scars, a smugness in her voice. Being tied to the captain of the pack must give her some form of power, and Quinn supposed it should help.

But the way Xin had scarfed down her food and pocketed the herbs were clues to a mystery that Quinn knew she'd soon face.

"I know," Xin nodded. "You've never cared for Omegas. Without a Rut, you don't need them the way we do. I've seen you in the markets. You've never had to purchase the suppressants, the medicines or the items used by Omegas that cost a whole fucking kidney. I used to hate you for that, watching you walk by with all that coin and no need to spend it. But I guess," she shrugged. "It's what you get for being a Beta, and I suppose it's a benefit in this new world."

Quinn was silent, lips pursed. The knowledge that Xin had watched her made her feel strange.

Xin smiled. "But the others might not. Look, Z's...A popular choice. Don't expect to be greeted warmly. And don't expect to sit on your ass. Work hard, and you'll be a part of us. But I can't help you if you step on a few tails."

It was a warning, one that Quinn decided to take seriously from the harshness in her eyes. It appeared that she'd managed to upset some sort of hierarchy, touched the untouchable. God, she hated drama, especially one over a boy.

Quinn groaned. "Thank you for the advice."

"You'd best clear up the rumours and lay off him if you want to survive. Thank him, but don't even try." Xin's eyes narrowed. "Besides, Z doesn't care for girls. Trust me, plenty have tried. And plenty yearn to be attached to him. Besides, he doesn't stay for long. A day or two and he's gone. Sometimes we don't see him for months."

Quinn raised a brow. "Where does he go?"

"Who knows?" Xin shrugged. "Probably back to the city to his mates, they don't stay here, which is why this hut is small. His arrangements are all temporary. It wouldn't do you any good to attach yourself to him because he can't protect you. And I doubt you'd want to go back to the city with your history." Her eyes grew hard. "Be careful."

"I will."

Xin nodded, and pulled out thick pieces of wood, the sticks were long and slender—they were crutches. "There's work to be done. And you'll heal soon enough. A month's all an Alpha needs, but I'm not sure for a Beta."