Chapter 6

No way.

Lucy almost dropped her cell phone. "That's a..."

"It is my offering," the crazy, sexy, supposed merman said. "Come to Sireno with me now."

The Sea Opal reflected the meager dashboard lights around the pilot booth, and it gleamed as though a thousand stars burned within its pearly white depths.

It was nearly twice as large as the one she'd found before.

Mexico was the place to find them! Not the Keys. Mexico wasn't exhausted yet, not by a long shot. Take that, stupid Blake! Lucy had been right!

Lucy licked her dry lips.

This jewel would get the collection agencies off her back, cancel her loans, pay off her credit cards, and show up her ex-husband, all in one. This was her redemption and triumph.

She reached out, her fingers trembling. "You found this?"

"It is the resin of our Life Tree."

"Are there more?"

"Many more." His deep voice rumbled with need. "Our Life Tree has not flowered in so long. It is dying. Our race is dying. Only you can save us, Lucy."

Only she could save them...

She took the Sea Opal.

It felt cool in her palm and heavy with promise.

Promise of hot nights, long showers, and delicious, lazy afternoons under the covers. With Torun. A warrior who needed his head examined.

If she dared to accept this... Well, he hadn't said he wanted children...

"I'm going to hell," she murmured, for even thinking about it.

"You are going with me." He drew her into his arms and cupped her neck. "By the covenant, I claim you for my bride."

His mouth descended, and she lost herself in his kiss.

This time, she didn't fight it.

At their touch, her body throbbed with need. Arousal ached, hunger for Torun heating her to the core.

His lips were cool and tasted of salt. His wide palms spanned her back, pressing her to his hard body. 

She explored his broad back. Muscle upon muscle, thick and strong, made her insides quiver. No man had ever enticed her like he did. Not her ex, not anyone. Torun intoxicated her from the inside out. She clasped him like an anchor in a storm.

"Lucy. You are shining again." He smiled and pressed hungry kisses against her forehead, cheek, jaw, and sensitive neck. "You will be a powerful mother for our young fry."

Young fry? That was such a weird way of saying baby.

Oh, because mermen were fish. Like salmon fry.

Ohhh.

She slowed his hands and disentangled herself. "Okay. I, uh, and you..."

"Torun," he supplied.

"No, I know. Look." A wave of grief broke over her. Deep breath. Let it out. Deep breath again. Let it out. One of them had to be the adult. Lucy stepped back and faced him. "I can't be your queen."

"You must."

"But you said your race is dying. You need a woman who can give you children."

"That is also you."

"It's..." Her throat closed. Crap. She covered her eyes. Was she going to be okay? Yes. She cleared her throat and dropped her hands. "It's not. Sorry."