Chapter 33

At the mention of parents, Lucy went limp in Torun's arms.

Torun held his beloved queen until she recovered her strength and scrambled for Elyssa's phone.

Elyssa fumbled it again.

Lucy caught the device and held it to her ear. A huge smile lit her face. "Mom? Dad? Oh, it's both of you. Hey, I made it... Yep, totally fine. Except there's someone you'll have to meet... No, he's going to be a much better son-in-law, Dad. I promise... Oh my God, I was on TV? No way! What do you mean, they broadcast my Facebook?"

Lucy reassured them with laughter and giggles, in all the ways a child could reassure her parents.

Elyssa stood nearby, also smiling.

"Thank you for your patience," Torun said.

"Of course." Elyssa's gaze dipped down his half-covered body. She quickly averted her eyes. Her cheeks reddened. "I'd be doing exactly the same."

"Your parents are close to you."

"Yep."

This was, truly, his desire for his young fry. If Lucy healed enough to have a son—or daughter, as Lucy was always careful to emphasize—Torun might be blessed with any miracle.

King Jolan must convince the warriors of Sireno to accept the change. Anyone watching Lucy talk with both her parents would understand. How could the mer chase the old traditions once their young fry knew the love of both father and mother and became a full family? That was their future.

Elyssa edged away. "Are you hungry?"

"Very hungry." His belly grumbled, and his bones ached. He was starving.

"I'll start something."

"Lucy likes tuna and hot chocolate."

"I'm on it." Elyssa departed.

Lucy finished her conversation and skipped back to him. A huge smile beamed across her face. "You have to come home with me and meet my parents."

"I accept." He rested Elyssa's cell phone on a table and gathered up his queen. "Food is being prepared. How can I make you comfortable?"

"We're alone?" She twined her fingers in his hair. Her gorgeous eyes darkened to naughty. "I feel all salty. Want to take a bath?"

"Yes."

"Good. Come with me."

They descended the stairs, passing palatial rooms filled with pianos and white carpets and glass sculptures. Lucy opened every door.

"That bedroom must have been Blake's," she decided, closing the door to the biggest, messiest suite with a shudder and tripped over to the untouched, second-largest suite. "This will be ours."

He liked the way she said that. Ours.

But there was still a hesitation in her voice and her manner and in the quick look she gave him. He tried to pull her close to reassure her that it was all over.

She avoided his gaze and tugged free. "Let me check on something."

Torun dropped his towel on the back of a chair and strolled around their new room.

A large bed piled high with fluffy pillows and a huge mirror reflected the nautical windows' soft golden lights. They would use this bed, perhaps, to rededicate their commitment to each other. Adjoining rooms beckoned off either side.

Lucy set out two thick white robes, towels, and fuzzy slippers. While the bath filled, she opened cabinets and revealed a cold-storage refrigerator. She squinted at a bottle's label.