Chapter 8

Lucy hugged her college friend again. "I'm so glad you're here. I thought you weren't coming until next week."

Mel squeezed back. Her woolly black hair cascaded down her back, and she beamed in a flowy, yellow maxi dress with sunny orange accents. "We had the timeshare, and you posted the craziest videos. Did you get that leak fixed?"

"My old boss from the dive shop, the one who sold me the zombie trawler, is supposed to be looking at it now."

"Great. I took the week off as soon as I found our new supporter, and we flew in this morning. Elyssa couldn't wait to meet you."

They sat at Mel's reserved table, Torun in the seat next to Lucy. They brushed elbows, and she pulled away. Lucy was too, too aware of him.

Mel lowered her voice. "The only thing is, she's kind of affiliated with Van Cartier Cosmetics."

Lucy's stomach dropped. "Wait. What?"

"Oh, there she is." Mel stood and waved.

Elyssa waved back cheerfully and crossed the restaurant. A long bohemian blouse and green capris hung stylishly on her thin frame, and a scarf tied back her dirty-blonde hair. She reached the empty chair, paused, and removed her fashionable sunglasses.

Mel introduced her. "Lucy, this is Elyssa Van Cartier, from Van Cartier Cosmetics."

Lucy rose and held out her hand. "Thanks for backing our expedition."

Elyssa smiled. Her slim fingers were accessorized with chunky amethyst and turquoise rings. "Thanks for having me."

"So, how are you related to the president of Van Cartier Cosmetics?"

"She's my aunt. By marriage."

"Elyssa works in HR," Mel said.

"The Florida office," Elyssa added.

"Oh, the one that fired me," Lucy said.

Elyssa didn't answer because she focused hard on pulling out the empty seat and sitting on it. She picked up the menu. "What are you having?"

Everyone read their menus silently.

What a graceful, slender, gorgeous woman. It was like looking at herself five years ago. Lucy clamped down on her jealousy while a waiter took their orders, then brought drinks and appetizers. Mel was the reason Lucy was on the water in a leaking boat instead of stuck in Florida, crying at the bus station, too poor for a ticket back to Oregon. She had to get over her anger. Elyssa was a Hail Mary last chance.

Lucy shifted the conversation back to Elyssa. "Your cousin is the vice president of Van Cartier Cosmetics, Aya?"

"That's right." Elyssa scooted in her chair. It hit the table. Their silverware rattled, and a fork fell on the carpet.

Lucy bit her tongue on her next question. Is Aya really screwing my ex-husband? She focused on the positive. "I appreciate your support."

"Sure." Elyssa dropped to the carpet and grabbed the fork. "Aya and I aren't as close as, um, before." Her head hit the table from underneath with a loud thunk.

"Honey, are you okay?" Mel asked.

"I have a hard head." Elyssa rose, rubbing her forehead, and resumed her seat. "Sea Opals are my passion. When I heard Mel was trying to raise the money for your expedition, I jumped in. You found the biggest one, after all."

Finally. Someone outside Lucy's immediately family believed in her.

Blake had convinced everyone that even though Lucy had found the gem, he had told her where to look. Somehow.