Chapter 32

Well, awesome. They'd won!

Face down Lucy's ex? Check. Rout an army and install a new king? Double check.

Now it was time to hit the deck and stretch out for some well-earned tanning.

Actually, first, she had to get in touch with her parents. They thought they'd buried their only daughter at sea, and now she was about to emerge from the depths, reborn.

Ailan darted to Lucy. "Take this human cell phone." He cut the cord attaching her cell phone to her old BCD and pushed it at her.

No apologies? Well, whatever. She grabbed her phone. "Thanks."

He bowed stiffly and swam away.

Torun handed Jolan his trident. "Good wishes on your journey, my king. Some minds cannot be changed, but you have the patience to try."

Jolan clasped the trident. "By your honor, Warlord Torun, I will make this city into one you may return to with pride."

"We're looking forward to it," Lucy said. "Take good care of Lassie."

Jolan looked to Torun.

"The house guardian," he said.

"Lassie planted the seed," she said. "I guarantee it."

Jolan nodded. "I will venerate the house guardian as though he were my own son."

"Or daughter," Lucy said.

He blinked. "Ah. Yes."

They bid farewell to the new king and then ascended lazily to the yacht. "You guys and your 'I will only have a son' thing is getting old. You could have a daughter."

"A daughter would be an unfathomable blessing." Torun settled her arms around his neck and twirled them under the sun-dappled sea. "We do not remember because it has been so long. If a daughter were born, I believe she would change everything."

"When," she corrected.

He kissed her.

"Yes," he murmured, while their mouths remained connected. "When."

She heated. They'd been through so much together.

Lucy stroked his broad, strong body. How long had it been since she lost herself in his embrace in their castle?

He rumbled in agreement.

She twined her legs with his.

The water shook with the subtle slap of a warrior entering it. Torun tensed, but it was only Malem.

"A helicopter is descending," Malem said. "I placed the prisoner inside the glass cage."

"You removed the key?"

"I did."

Torun and Lucy swam to the ladder. He helped her out, then wrapped his waist with a towel while heading to the bow.

She upchucked water over the side as her sopping-wet clothes slapped her body. Malem stood by, probably watching in disgust.

"Is it always this bad?" she asked, gasping and coughing out cold phlegm. Tears burned her eyes.

"Yes." Malem averted his gaze. "It becomes less awkward. Well, perhaps not for you."

"Gee, thanks." She wiped her mouth.

They joined Torun at the bow. Lucy tied the towel around Torun's trim hips and tucked the end in the waist. It wouldn't hold up in a hurricane, so she stood in front of him as the helicopter touched down on the bow, just in case.